Archinect
anchor

MIT MArch Admissions Requirements

MusicOfTheSpheres

I'm starting year 2 of my Architecture BSc at The Bartlett later this year.

I'm looking at MIT as an option for MArch.

I was wondering if anyone could offer advice regarding the entry requirements (parts 2,3,4) stating: 

• One semester of satisfactory study in college-level mathematics 
  • "                                                           " natural sciences 
  • Two semesters   "                               "humanities/social sciences.

As far as I can gather UCL allows auditing, i.e. I can attend the lectures of subjects outside of my own 120 course units, but they don't usually give a formal assessment in the extra subjects you're attending.

Has anyone attended extra degree course units and been assessed in them? Not necessarily at UCL? How did it work out?

I wanted to drop in to other lectures anyway, so aware/happy there will be more to learn/manage. More concerned about how I can get the correct assessments, i.e. what exactly do they mean by 'successful?'

Do they just want to see that you've attended/shown an interest, and then that your learning is reflected in the grades of the Graduate Record Examination you have to take to get in? Or are they looking for formal assessments? Could I do online degree-level semesters in the extra subjects? In which case doing them over summer would be ideal. Thanks!

Jul 9, 18 6:03 pm
MusicOfTheSpheres

Actually f*** that. I've just seen how much it costs to attend MIT. I'll do the whole education thing somewhere else, then open my own free university. Somehow.

Jul 9, 18 7:57 pm  · 
 · 
jijorge

this is pure gold

Aug 8, 18 2:24 am  · 
 · 
mwnnown

MIT is actually one of the few architecture schools in the states that offer VERY generous merit based aids to students (another one is Princeton, Yale also does but not as much I think). The school's goal is to achieve full tuition support for every student in the near future (right now many students in the department are awarded full aid + a stipend, but not all of them).Unlike the GSD, international students are also awarded financial assistance at MIT. 

Regarding the course requirement. One calculus, one physics( or biology or chemistry or .......), and two history should suffice. 

I would apply and see how it goes if I were you. 

Jul 19, 18 3:52 am  · 
 · 
tduds

The graduate schools might work differently, so correct me if I'm wrong, but 100% of MIT's financial aid is *Need Based* They explicitly don't offer merit scholarships (at least not to undergrads).

Aug 8, 18 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

MIT makes a distinction between "scholarships" and "grants". All institutional scholarships are need-based. However there are also institutional grants awarded - both to undergraduates and graduate students. The criteria for grants vary - some are completely merit-based, others are need-based, and still others are awarded on a combination of both.

Aug 8, 18 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Good clarification, thanks.

Aug 8, 18 6:27 pm  · 
 · 

Within the Department of Architecture,

"Financial aid awards for incoming students are on a merit basis and are made upon admission. In general, PhD students are funded on financial aid packages that consist of a Teaching Assistantship (TA) or Research Assistantship (RA) salary component, plus a tuition component. TA or RA assignments are made by the faculty Discipline Group Director at the beginning of each term. Financial aid awards to Master's degree students are in the form of a partial tuition award. Master's degree students are also eligible to compete for work opportunities in the form of Teaching or Research Assistantships, or hourly positions available in the department. Students are eligible for financial support from the Department, both tuition and/or Departmental employment, for the period of the standard residency requirement of the degree program. For PhD students this is up to a maximum of ten semesters. For MArch students entering in Year 1 or with advanced entry in Year 2, the maximum number of semesters of eligibility is seven and five, respectively. SMArchS, SMBT and SMACT students are eligible for a total of four semesters of financial aid." You can find more info here: https://architecture.mit.edu/o...

When I applied, MIT was the only school that did not ask for my family's detailed financial background. They just asked if I wish do be considered for aid.

Aug 9, 18 8:45 am  · 
 · 
thatsthat

I considered applying to MIT, but eventually decided against going back to school. When I was inquiring about the application process and financial aid, the architecture school gave me a rough estimate of how much aid I would be getting if admitted. If you are curious, they may be able to give you a better idea if you contact them directly.

Aug 9, 18 9:33 am  · 
 · 
Bloopox

To satisfy prerequisites you must submit transcripts showing satisfactory grades (usually C or better, or P if the courses are taken Pass-Fail) in for-credit courses, through an accredited college or university.  There are online courses that can satisfy most prerequisites at many schools.  Auditing courses will not typically satisfy prereqs.

Aug 8, 18 12:52 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: