Archinect
anchor

MSAAD COLUMBIA

siubadubalalala

Hi everyone,

I'm an architecture student from Europe and next year I'm gonna finish my four year Bachelor of science in architecture. I want to apply for a master in US and Master of science at GSAPP which seems to be the most appealing for me. Is four year Bachelor of science in Architecture enough to apply? on a website it says that you should already have a 5 year professional degree in arch or its equivalent and I don't quite get if european four year degree can be equivalent in that case. 

Jul 9, 18 2:36 am
placebeyondthesplines_

is your four-year degree a professional degree? does it fulfill the educational requirements for becoming licensed? 

you are not eligible for any post-professional program (such as the MSAAD) if you do not have a professional degree.

Jul 11, 18 9:12 pm
TrogIodytarum's comment has been hidden
TrogIodytarum

No. You don't qualify.

Don't believe me? Simply email or call their admissions department (which you should have done in the first place) for an unequivocal answer.

Jul 12, 18 10:45 pm
JacksonJohn

Care to use your real name when making such an egregious statement?

TrogIodytarum

Why would I state my real name? Not everybody is as idiotic as you by making the terrible mistake of getting in a petty and sad internet fight using your real name.

JacksonJohn

Obviously you didn't read the thread or you are trying to paint a different picture. I didn't get into an internet fight which I initiated, I was verbally attacked beyond critiquing to the point of being called illiterate, spoiled, immature, and many other horrible insults that had nothing to do with what I posted. And I don't care that I posted my real name because it doesn't incriminate me at all; I'm just saying you wouldn't use your real name when making such an egregious post which means you shouldn't make it at all. You're an adult and you're not acting like one.

Non Sequitur

Give it a rest Jackson. Every repetition you make just keeps reinforcing our initial assumptions.

JacksonJohn

Which are blatantly false considering you never address them...

JacksonJohn

I've also done a quick search of the forum and have found hundreds of portfolios with real names and pictures of people...Have you ever been to issu? It's not unusual. I came here expecting a much more mature crowd actually.

Non Sequitur

Decent portfolios get great feedback. Bad art with childish know it all authors use don’t. Plenty of examples of both. And please, don’t assume victory because I’m not rebuffing your old posts point per pathetic point. Debating this with you would only create the illusion you’re worthy of debate. You’ll get this once you start defending creative ideas in a university setting.

JacksonJohn

I'm not explicitly talking about the aspect of my art or portfolio, rather refuting the point that using your real name on a forum such as this one isn't unusual. To further my point, go to "Community" and click "People". Your feedback was more than just bad feedback. You insulted me, my faculty, called me illiterate, spoiled, and childish. I'm going to continue to repeat regardless of how you reply, which, seeing as how you aren't rebuffing my points (Because how can you rebuff calling me illiterate other than trying to attempt to justify it), and you continue to respond (the first rule of maturity; don't respond to people like me at all), it highlights the false sense of grandstanding you continue to do.

Non Sequitur

Or, more likely that I’m just not interested in the weak opinions of someone not yet old enough to buy beer.

JacksonJohn

” Its pretty bad... I can’t imagine the content to be any better if you have such a clusterfuck on the cover.” "If that's his reading comprehension I can't imagine his literacy"

JacksonJohn

(paraphrase) "Four high school teachers against architecture credentials" -- It was twelve, they have college credentials, and all art backgrounds

JacksonJohn

You see, your critiques may have been correct, but your insults that followed your critiques were swiftly refuted and you walk around that by insulting my position. Something tells me you aren't as free of a commenter like you are here.

JacksonJohn

Also, I never claimed I "know it all" and I honestly am curious to see why you reached that conclusion. But of course you won't explain your points.

Non Sequitur

I did explain in that now deleted thread. You skipped those points and continued on with ignorance and gusto. Had you taken the time to read and unstand, perhaps you would have seen why the majorly disliked both your initial work and attitude.

JacksonJohn

I expressed no attitude. I responded to the first comment with a thanks for even harsh feedback. The boundaries were overstepped when I began to be insulted. You remain in a sense of vagueness where it's hard to address your points because there aren't any being made. I'm assuming you claimed (as you won't explicitly state it, and you're expecting me to somehow remember 89 comments exactly as they were given; also, note the word assuming) that I was a know it all for not changing my design and calling out your more than just harsh critiques as a reason to justify my design. But I can't be for certain because you will not back up your points specifically.

JacksonJohn

I feel like you are trying to entrap me into saying certain things so I will say now that I am not certain about anything I've said unless you can specifically tell me why you called me a "know it all" and "illiterate", "spoiled", "private school kid", and many other demeaning terms that were not necessary and not used by others even in harsh critique.

JacksonJohn

Furthermore, your response is hearsay if you cannot cite at least certain (paraphrased) quotes or evidence. We cannot confirm nor deny what you are saying so it's essentially worthless. 

JacksonJohn

And the replies stop. It's clear you can't refute your insults and continue to try and comb around them. I'm not going to respond anymore. People can feel free to judge you by your harsh actions. Let's leave it with a beautiful quote from you: " ” Its pretty bad... I can’t imagine the content to be any better if you have such a clusterfuck on the cover.”------ This was a direct insult to my character as I did not enclose any of the content besides the cover. Furthermore, he continued to harass me by calling me illiterate, by questioning the ability of my arts faculty, and calling me a variety of names and insults including (but not limited to) spoiled, juvenile, ect. He was not engaging in a civil discussion." I'd be ashamed to call you an adult. Goodbye forever. Hopefully you think about how you've hurt me.

Archicore

I had a classmate who always argued back at the critics. One of our projects was a recycling center. The genius idea was to dig a 70ft pit just a few yards for a river and put a concrete bunker in it. Needless to say, some of the critics had a few issues with that design. What I’ll say is this. If you really want to get through architecture education, you’ll have to learn to grow a thick skin. I saw my classmate’s great ideas get shredded while the terrible ones were put on a pedestal. Research and credentials meant nothing. You could’ve ran all your projects past the top local architects and it still would’ve gotten destroyed. Jackson, people will tell you’re your projects are shit. “Clusterfuck” is going to be the least of your worries. The projects I worked on were half semester to a full semester long. Studio was 12 hours a week MINIMUM, and you were expected there well after class was over. You’re looking at 20-30 hours a week easily to be grinding away at a project. And after a semester of that, you get a grim old man wearing black who has never even seen your project before telling you that it’s trash. It happens to people. Some cry. Some quit. The rest thank the critic for his/her time and head back to the drawing board to work on that advice. If you put your heart and soul into every project, you’ll quickly realize that it’ll tear you apart. That will lead to all sorts of mental/physical health problems that nobody should have to deal with. Work hard. Hold your project at an arm’s length. And realize that while your projects represent you and your work, that humans have an amazing capacity to change and improve. In the end, the worst kind of critiques were the ones I always got. “It’s fine” “It’s good” “This is an ok idea” “You just need to work on it more”. I really wish someone could’ve gone back to my previous work and told me it was a clusterfuck, because then I would’ve had some direction.

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

• ×Search in: