Archinect
anchor

Graduate School Portfolio (No background in Architecture)

HeavyDrinker

Hello all.

I will be applying for graduate school at the University of Maryland, for the Fall 2019 semester. I don't have a background in Architecture, I received my B.S. in Civil Engineering last month. 

If anyone else has switched to Architecture from a different field, what did you focus on in your portfolio? or better yet, what do you all think I should focus on in my portfolio? 

I currently plan on including my works done in Revit (2) and Adobe Photoshop/Illustrator (2-3), anything else I should work on in the couple months before the application is due (January 2019)?

Any links to graduate portfolios (especially ones from prospective students without Architecture backgrounds), as well as ANY advise to better my chances, is well appreciated.

Thanks.

Jul 3, 18 8:53 pm
Non Sequitur

your portfolio needs to showcase your ability to think using the basics: scale, light, shape, proportions, etc...  In order to get a good handle on these skills, you need to practice sketching object and spaces around you... not just pump out CAD or BIM detail sheets.

Get yourself some pantone markers, a few dity graphite sticks, and a clean sketchbook and interpret what you see with artistic flair.

Jul 3, 18 9:02 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: