Archinect
anchor

Professional Respect, Courtesy, Civility - As Professionals

Shaw

Since I signed up on Archinect and began posting, I have met many respectful, courteous, and civil members of the profession here online, and received much encouragement, helpful knowledge, and advice. At the same, there are those who have very little or none of the above, who almost appear to be looking for a way to dig or gig at someone with contempt and spite, which is to be expected in some quarters, or least  in doses. 

What do we owe one another as professionals? We live in a fallen world, but we may still endeavor after showing respect, courtesy, and civility to each other........when the greater public visits Archinect, and observes the bullying, trashing, double-entendres, and poisonous snipes, what are they left with when they consider the profession of architecture?

When posting, it reminds me of walking down the street, and seeing 2 or 3 guys hanging around a lamp-post, up to no good. It's always that way in life - these types will always be around. It's really up to Archinect to deal with them. I would count myself among those who want genuine academic and professional exchange without the unnecessary squalor.   

Jul 1, 18 8:18 pm
curtkram

i'm sure the general public leaves here considering the profession of architecture to be awesome.  you're going a little overboard on the whole 'i don't want to take a test' thing.

Jul 1, 18 9:03 pm  · 
 · 
Shaw

I'm afraid you've misjudged me.

Jul 1, 18 9:29 pm  · 
 · 
Shaw

You have no real interest or good purpose; you are more interested in tearing others down rather than building up others, and you have chosen your own answers already. 

Jul 1, 18 10:02 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

i think he's mad

Jul 1, 18 10:58 pm  · 
 · 
( o Y o )

You're not licensed so by definition you're not a professional.

Therefore fuck off.

Jul 1, 18 10:14 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

sex workers should require licensure. that would actually solve a lot of problems.

Jul 1, 18 11:00 pm  · 
 · 
Shaw

You don't know me or anything about me. Do you ever take your own advice? You should. You might learn something.  

Jul 1, 18 10:34 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

if you want us to know about you, tell us. all we know is you got a strongly worded letter in the mail and it made you sad. even that has some assumption built-in.

Jul 1, 18 10:59 pm  · 
 · 
Anon_grad2.0

Funny the person who assumes people standing near a lamp post are up to no good, is asking others not to judge them

Jul 1, 18 11:55 pm  · 
 · 
Shaw

More than 3 standing around the lamp-post now........amazing that some really do not hear or understand, but many do, and for those individuals, thank you..........

Jul 2, 18 1:34 am  · 
 · 
Steeplechase

What is courteous about spamming a message board?

Jul 1, 18 10:59 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

So there's bias against people gathering around lamp posts, how illuminating. They're out in the open, visible to all, what's there to worry about?

Jul 2, 18 3:14 am  · 
 · 
Shaw

RickB-Astoria, 

It's a great thing when someone understands you and what you have been through, what you are struggling with, and the unfairness of it all. Your posts, among others like yourself, have meant the most to me. I appreciate how you broke everything down and explained it to me, and truly appreciate your recommendations. 

I do have my beliefs and convictions about what's wrong with the profession, and was seeking to find others here who were like-minded, based on previous entries I had noticed for the few years before I joined, and among the like-minded, find answers. Some things about the forum surprised me - like people wondering if I was 'trolling' - I admit my dinosaur status about these things, but I still don't know what 'trolling' is all about. Nonetheless, I believe that I have the answers to the questions I had, and many things are now resolved for me. 

Thank you and best RickB!             

Jul 2, 18 8:16 am  · 
 · 

Ricky's got a new friend!

Jul 2, 18 9:52 am  · 
 · 
mightyaa

+1

Jul 2, 18 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
kjdt

If Shaw's for real he should think thrice about that association. First, Rick will turn around and report him to a board as soon as Shaw spills where he's from. Second, Rick is the poster child of why we need regulatory bodies to prevent unlicensed practice. Rick designed an assembly space for hundreds of people and didn't know what a smoke damper or fusible link are or if the theater has any, didn't know what a standpipe even looks like (had to google and post pictures for verification) or if there are any, didn't know there was a difference between a UL-labeled product and a UL-listed assembly and insisted there were no published sources for the latter, didn't know fire rated walls have to be continuous with fire rated roofs or continue well above the roof, and admitted to not knowing how to use a tape measure. It was all amusing and made for good reading on the forum, but it's a real-world life safety issue waiting to happen to hundreds of people everywhere that there's a Rick or a Shaw.

Jul 2, 18 1:02 pm  · 
 · 

RickShaw. Perfect!

Jul 2, 18 10:43 pm  · 
 · 

The people trolling this site are not helping the profession, or themselves. For example I actually landed a client by being "professional" in how I was responding to a post about accessible bathrooms. The trolls were out in force belittling the person who posted the question, they did not get a client or learn anything from the exchange. This forum is like a bank you make deposits of knowledge and civility and you might get rewarded with opportunities. No one want's to offer money, opportunities or advice that is useful to a troll.

The best advice:

Don't be horrible

Over and OUT

Peter N

Jul 2, 18 10:36 am  · 
 · 
Shaw

El Cid, you came in good time this day! Many thanks for the support. This should be a professional place for exchange, and if some of the issues have already been thoroughly worked through by those who are worn-out over them, all that is need is either patience for those of us who are just realizing some of these facts/insights or just skip over to another thread and don't fret yourself with any ground you dont want to go over anymore. Simple enough.

Jul 2, 18 11:03 am  · 
 · 

You're missing a great learning opportunity because your cup is full. You take offense instead of reflecting upon yourself. Stop whining and post up some difficult detail you're struggling with and you'll get a more "professional" response. Maybe. Post up some stupid shit and you'll reap an appropriate reward. You expect something different?

Jul 2, 18 11:28 am  · 
 · 
Shaw

Why don't you take inventory of yourself and follow your own advice, Miles?

Jul 2, 18 11:51 am  · 
 · 

An excellent example of the behavior I just described. You can't see good, honest advice because it's not what you want to hear. I'd offer you a shovel but you've already done a fine job of digging yourself into a hole.

Jul 2, 18 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
proto

I always love the new guy that shows up in your place and wants to rearrange the furniture

Jul 2, 18 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

The observation that the level of civility here sometimes drags the bottom of the barrel is completely accurate.

But as several have already pointed out, this is the internet, after all: enter at your own risk.  Some sites' forums (fora?) are heavily moderated for content and tone, so refuge can be found there.

I'll just add that civility is personal attribute, not to be confused with professional courtesy.  In my opinion, Earth would be a much better place if each person prioritized the first.  And more carefully navigating the web may be a good start.

Jul 2, 18 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
SpontaneousCombustion

Archinect has always been relatively hands-off - I've seen them pull the plug on people being overtly discriminatory or threatening, but they rarely if ever take action for plain old spiteful bickering. Some of these regulars have been here 20+ years - you're probably not going to get far in efforts to reform us at this point - and just look at yourself: markedly more snipey and bitter in your few days here.  Stay and get thicker skin, or go start a kindler, gentler alternative over there with the unicorns and share bears and officer mcfeely.

Jul 2, 18 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Personally, I'd stay away from Officer McFeely.

Jul 2, 18 8:32 pm  · 
 · 
Shaw

S.C. I'm no stranger to what you've described - as a teenager and after high school, I worked in construction and endured all that; you have a culture here at Archinect that you're used to. I get it. It's not what I would prefer, but I've been through worse before. I still hold out for civility, but some folks want/like the banter. I know of a minister who is shocking with the things he says that are insulting and demeaning to others, and to him, that's normal. There is something even going around in churches these days that implies you should be like the aforementioned pastor to 'be a man'. I think that's an awful position/teaching/attitude. But you see it being played out in our nation and culture all the time.

Jul 4, 18 1:21 am  · 
 · 
Shaw

Yes, I agree, RB. Actually, I've been under pastors who were like the one I mentioned previously - and they struggled with just being kind to others, as if it was a weakness. Most pastors, and to personalize, most of the ones I have known, have been as you described above, and were tremendous examples.

Jul 4, 18 2:30 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: