Archinect
anchor

Isn't The Present (and Typical) Composition of State Boards, and Even NCARB, Somewhat Problematic?

Shaw

Why?

Can a Board filled with active/practicing professionals really be objective in how they hold court on fellow professionals? Especially if a number of the board members are competing against a fellow professional who is before them for whatever reason for seeking justice and fairness?  

Would it be wise and prudent to have retired architects of emeritus status make up the composition of the board with a mixed composition of unlicensed architectural associates, members of academia, and members of the greater public? Remove the competing board members basically, and try to get more diverse input in an effort to strive for greater objectivity? The public members would represent 'the average citizen', who could bring a real 'ground wire' aspect to the state board. Our state board has had the same people for ever and ever, and they all compete against each other and the architects who are before them for rulings.  

Or, should it all just - remain the same..........?   

Jul 1, 18 4:05 pm
curtkram

retired architects?

they let us retire?

i've never had trouble with my state board.  also, anecdotally, i've seen people get along with each and work well together despite working for different companies, so it is possible for that to happen.

Jul 1, 18 9:05 pm  · 
 · 
eeayeeayo

My state's board does have retired architects, a full time academic, and a couple of non-architect community members.  Board members recuse themselves from issues where they have any connection to the parties or projects involved. 

I don't know where you are, so I don't know how your state's board is selected.  In mine the governor's office advertises for volunteers for the boards of all the professions, and the board is selected from those applications, but typically they have a tough time getting enough applications to even fill the number of openings, let alone need to evaluate between multiple applicants.  My state's AIA chapters' policies are to not be involved, so as to avoid any conflicts of interest - i.e. they do not nominate or endorse applicants, or provide any opinion to the governor's office regarding selection of board members.  If you want to see a particular makeup of the board here, you'd have to convince people you approve of to apply, and/or apply yourself.

Jul 1, 18 9:19 pm  · 
 · 
Shaw

eeayeeayo, you have a great situation - there's hope..........

Jul 1, 18 9:32 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-hiltzik-20150329-column.html

Clear answer...NO the majority cannot be made of people in same profession. 

Jul 1, 18 9:55 pm  · 
 · 
Shaw

Thank you jla-x! I saved a copy.......knew something was awry.....

Jul 1, 18 10:10 pm  · 
 · 

Really interesting article jla-x, especially after recently reading up on NCEES's ethics clauses and how they define and restrict the use of titles and services. Does that decision (and the recent trend towards deregulation) question the ability or authority of professions to self-regulate? 

Jul 2, 18 9:04 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: