Archinect
anchor

Is Architecture Worth It?

HeavyDrinker

Hello All,

I am fairly new to this site (I made my account 3 minutes before typing this). I graduated this past May with a B.S. in Civil Engineering and I am in the process of applying for grad school to obtain my Masters in Architecture, and maybe a phd eventually. 

My goal was always to obtain both the Civil Degree and the Architecture degree to give me a better understanding of the design process from start to finish. However, after successfully obtaining the B.S. in Civil I felt no joy or satisfaction in my accomplishment.

I have always loved the process of designing structures, and believe that becoming an Architect will bring me the joy and satisfaction Civil did not.

Basically what I want to know is, is the Architecture degree worth it? Are you happy as a professional Architect? or as an educator?

Thanks.

Jun 27, 18 8:26 pm
Non Sequitur

Yes, architecture is worth it if you enjoy putting together buildings, dealing with budget & construction constraints and negotiate with clients, city inspectors, or contractors.  If you think you'll be sitting ontop of piles of cash while making genius broad strokes into glorious magazine worthy art, then no, not worth it.

Have you worked in the field or are you just chasing academia in order to delay the real world?

Jun 27, 18 11:05 pm  · 
thatsthat

"Yes, architecture is worth it if you enjoy putting together buildings, dealing with budget & construction constraints and negotiate with clients, city inspectors, or contractors. If you think you'll be sitting ontop of piles of cash while making genius broad strokes into glorious magazine worthy art, then no, not worth it."

Can this be pinned somewhere on Archinect?  I mean, this is exactly right on to everyone I talk to about pursuing architecture. 

Jun 28, 18 9:23 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Cheers

Jun 28, 18 11:44 am  · 
geezertect

Should be engraved on the AIA headquarters building.

Jun 28, 18 12:38 pm  · 

Degrees won't give you a better understanding of the design process. 

Jun 27, 18 11:26 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

correct. I had to explain how mullions work to a junior staff today. 2 college diplomas and still does not know where the glass goes... talk about job security.

Jun 27, 18 11:47 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

Mullions or muntins? No one around here knows the difference.

Jun 28, 18 9:27 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Skyscrapers have mullions of muntins, amirite?

Jun 28, 18 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

FWIW: http://mgerwingarch.com/m-gerwing/2011/01/18/muntin-v-mullion-architects-glossary

I always learned it as mullions are the verticals, muntins are the horizontals.

Jun 28, 18 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

"I always learned it as mullions are the verticals, muntins are the horizontals."

That's not correct. Muntins are glazing dividers. Mullions are structural dividers, usually vertical. You "mull" windows together. Muntins can be in any orientation. 

Jun 28, 18 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
AlinaF

Transoms

Jun 29, 18 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

WG: But, by that definition, since all of the glass pieces are subject to wind load, then all dividers are serving a structural purpose (absorbing wind load from the glass panes themselves) and are therefore mullions. Sounds like a clear definition doesn't really exist. Any rabbis in the house?  Boy, did we get off topic.

Jun 29, 18 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

heavy drinking will most definitely help

Jun 28, 18 11:02 am  · 
 · 
Shaw

It's like.....if it's in your blood, nothing else will satisfy. Even with the problems that go with it, that we discuss here. We're all hoping to find resolution and better pay, better quality of life.........I wouldn't do anything else but architecture, or architecture-related.....    

Jun 28, 18 5:14 pm  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: