Archinect
anchor

B. Arch or M. Arch?

skye_

So I am a rising senior in high school and I'm considering architecture as a future career. However, I'm not really sure what to do for college. 

What I am choosing between right now is taking the five year B. Arch, or studying something else for undergrad and getting the M. Arch after that. 

My reason for studying something else for undergrad is so that I can learn other skills and become more well rounded, rather than focusing solely on architecture. I know that architecture is not really a stable career so I guess having that other skill can give me something to fall back on. Also the "masters" on the degree might look better when I'm looking for a job. 

I could also just dive in and get the B. Arch so I could get licensed and try to find a job. This seems more direct but I don't know whether I would want to change professions or something like that. 

So I guess my question is: do employers look at the masters degree more highly than the bachelors? If I want to go into architecture is it worth taking something else for undergrad and than getting the M. Arch or should I just dive into the B. Arch?

I'd appreciate any input, I've been stressing about this problem for like a year now and I need to make a decision soon. Thank you!

Jun 19, 18 7:30 pm
thisisnotmyname

We do not pay much attention to BArch vs. MArch when hiring.  Meaningful architectural or construction work experience is more important to us than the type of degree earned.

For what its worth, there are very few white collar jobs that have an clearly stable outlook 30-50 years out.  The only things I think are secure from being replaced by artificial intelligence and robots in the near term are trades like air conditioning repair and plumbing.  Some of the richest people I know started out in plumbing and a/c and now own their own businesses.

Jun 19, 18 7:48 pm  · 
 · 
thatsthat

Since you’re a rising senior, you have some time before you really start college. If there is a community college nearby, I would suggest seeing if they have any drafting or drawing classes that you can enroll in.  A lot of community colleges will let you take classes even though you haven’t graduated - and some may even work with your high school to give you credit. Another idea is to find an architect in your area and ask them if they have 30 minutes or so to come take a look at what they do. Just getting your feet wet and understanding what we do everyday may help you make your decision.

Jun 19, 18 9:24 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

You should consider taking compute programming classes, in that computational design, where you write software for parametric design programs will be the necessary skill in the near future, in fact it already is. AI will be used in architectural design.

https://sfdug.org/

http://dynamobim.org/

Jun 19, 18 10:05 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

If you have dreams of owning your own business, the undergrad option could relate to business operations.  Architects are terrible business people. 

Jun 20, 18 7:53 am  · 
 · 
skye_

Thank you all for the advice and resources I really appreciate it. 

Jun 21, 18 8:54 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: