Archinect
anchor

In Your opinion what are the most promising countries to practice architecture in the next 5-10 years ?

RoyalPotato

im trying to plan out my life

Jun 17, 18 12:24 am
TrogIodytarum

Belarus, Peru, Lithuania, Croatia, and Morocco.

They are the cheapest places to live in the world so it'll be possible for you to live slightly above the poverty line even though you're practicing architecture.

Jun 17, 18 1:41 am
JLC-1

peru and croatia are seismic, you'd need to learn a thing or two about earthquakes.

randomised

North Korea & Syria?

Jun 17, 18 5:10 am
TED

Narrow this a little - are you qualified in what country? What languages do you speak? From a UK point of view - no one is offering visas with Brexit.

Germany has the strongest economy in the EU.

Jun 17, 18 7:01 am

Svenborgia.

Jun 17, 18 10:00 am
Non Sequitur
Astoria, Oregon. Soon it’ll be the Mecca for all who want to build fruitful international careers.
Jun 17, 18 6:07 pm

resource war isn’t a country

Jun 17, 18 8:42 pm
RickB-Astoria

RoyalPotato,

First, what kind of projects are you looking to do in your career? Second, you can't really plan your life out. No one can. 

You can only plan a few steps and maybe a few years ahead and only broadly look at your career in where you want to go with it not thinking exactly what you want to get all accomplished before you kick the proverbial bucket. Life is too dynamic to think that far out. Focus on between today and up to 10 years with broad long term considerations like putting away for retirement by starting today if you haven't already. The only thing you should be thinking in any detail about that involves thinking beyond 10 years is your retirement nest egg but that matters because you start now not when you retire.

Considering my first point about what kind of projects you are looking to do in your career. This matters because it will affect other decisions including where you work. 

For example: Residential / Home design. In that market, you will be needing to keep up on migration patterns of people. Where they are going and understand the push and pull factors of why they are going where they are going. In this example, places experiencing population growth rate will likely be experiencing new construction needs. Not always but what you have to understand in supply & demand. Is the housing supply sufficient to meet the demand or is there a shortage on the market. It isn't entirely because there is an actual shortage of houses and other housing. It is a shortage of available housing for purchase or rent. Sometimes this is artificially made by deliberate intentions of keeping properties unavailable. We are seeing some of that in Astoria, Oregon because of out of town owners using the homes as nothing but a weekend retreat. They don't live in it. They just own it to use it on the weekend when visiting the beach but otherwise are absent owners. This is an existing problem that have contributed to the homeless problem in Astoria, Oregon. In some places, there are actually a shortage of dwellings available in the locations where people are moving so there are people buying land to build their home. This is what you want to look for when you are wanting to design new homes and other residential structures. 

When a place has neither growing or shrinking other than subtle fluctuations from quarter to quarter, year to year over a multi-year pattern. You don't want to go to those places if you are seeking new construction design. In places like this, it might be acceptable to go to if you are into preservation and restoration. 

If a place is losing population on a significant level..... RED FLAG. This is NOT a place you want to go to to start an architect office that is working in new construction and even preservation and restoration. This is because people are fleeing the place as if it is a sinking ship. 

Note: Dynamics in world means things change. Migration pattern changes. All places experience periods of growth, neutral, and decline. So you need to keep your eyes on the ebb and flow of migration patterns. Migration isn't just from one nation to another but even within a nation to different parts. 

There is a danger in going to a place that has been growing for years because when you go there, it can suddenly change. If you build yourself to be mobile as possible, you can more readily flow where the work is. 

If you are into certain kinds of work like healthcare, government, institutional, education type projects, you will have some insulation from the changes that will be first seen in housing. However, you won't be totally immune. As a business, you can experience that. It won't always be easy. 

I'm trying to not be too location specific other than a limited anecdote. 

I'm not going to suggest you any particular country or place because you gave nothing to even go by to be an advice that could be beneficial to you. 

My advice is: Until you give more information about your career goals, what you want to do in this career, and about yourself, my best suggestion is that the most promising country to practice architecture in the next 5 to 10 years is the country where you are currently located. You have not given us anything for us to responsibly suggest otherwise.

Jun 17, 18 9:32 pm
randomised

Liberland.

Jun 18, 18 9:05 am
Xenakis

Russia

Jun 18, 18 1:32 pm
JLC-1

UAE - russia - north korea - azerbajan.

Jun 18, 18 1:42 pm
RickB-Astoria

Re-emphasize:

My advice is: Until you give more information about your career goals, what you want to do in this career, and about yourself, my best suggestion is that the most promising country to practice architecture in the next 5 to 10 years is the country where you are currently located. You have not given us anything for us to responsibly suggest otherwise.

Jun 19, 18 3:52 am

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

• ×Search in: