Archinect
anchor

Theory vs Practical Architecture Question

ForeignConcept

Been a lurker for this forum for a bit now. I am not an architecture student yet. I am in undergrad and am pursuing Urban Planning/Sustainable Development first (it is an accredited BA with PAB). Architecture was always my end goal and want to do a M.Arch after my BA though and then MS and specialize.

My one question for now as I'm sifting through grad schools to add to my list to research and then apply to is - how does one know if a school is more theory based or practical based? From what I gather on the forum here, there are schools that are more classically inclined with theory and history and then there are more hands-on, physical and practical schools. I am unable to determine which area a school lies in when perusing their websites. Soooo...

When on a website for a school what am I searching for to find out what type of architecture school they are? Also, is this only a pertinent question for Post-Grad? Or does this sort of delineation also fall in the M.Arch programs?

Jun 15, 18 5:11 pm
geezertect

You could start by looking at the course descriptions.  The more impenetrable jargon and buzz words you read, the more theoretical (and useless in the practical world) it is likely to be.  Just a thought.

Jun 16, 18 8:32 am  · 
 · 
randomised

And be sure to check out the work produced by the students.

Jun 16, 18 9:17 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: