Archinect
anchor

Arduino/ Processing/ Coding

ayags

Hi everyone! 

I got accepted to UCL's MArch Design for Performance and Interaction but it came with the stipulation that I learn Arduino/ Processing. I havent done science or math or physics or any of the sort in years and when I did, I wasnt too great at it. I'm just wondering if there is anyone who has also been down this road and any advice they might have? I feel I'm at such a disadvantage because I do not understand electrical currents or anything like that and find this subject material to be extremely boring and frustrating. It feels very left brain/ right brain to me and I have always been a better writer and creative person so grasping volts and amps while also learning to code is really stressing me out. Really I'm just looking for anyone to confirm that getting over the initial hump of learning these things like coding and arduino is just a hump and it gets easier, even for us creative types. 

Jun 11, 18 4:20 pm
Anon_grad2.0

arduino is such an underrated tool. It’s great because it’s not necessarily complicated either. 

My advice is to buy one of the starter kits. They come with a small booklet that shows you how to create simple 

Jun 11, 18 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
Anon_grad2.0

*simple circuits. 

Look at future cities lab for inspiration. Very cool work

Jun 11, 18 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
lukeggg

I use Grasshopper once a day, code (python/javascript,C#) once a week, Processing once a month, and Arduino once a year. But honestly, I wish it was reversed. 

Processing and Arduino are a ton of fun to use and learn. Definitely start with Processing; Arduino is designed to mimic it (and then + all that electrical stuff that is frustrating and you claim to hate). My vote on Processing is go straight to Daniel Shiffman's YouTube channel - dive right into Processing, avoid P5js and everything else for now. If his style isn't to your liking then try learnprocessing.com it is a much more concise intro, but you miss out on all the wacky-fun personality of Dan Shiffman. 

For Arduino you absolutely need to buy a board and some sort of starter pack ($100 should do). Where tutorials are the best way to start learning Processing, honestly I think the best way to get into Arduino is to start a really simple project and Google answers. Try not to ask questions on forums, and instead piece together partial-solutions you find online. Try making a clock with a stepper motor. Sounds simple but just to get a stepper motor to work you will need a bunch of addons and Google searches. It can get a bit expensive - budget $50 to $200 per project(once you have already bought the board + starter kit), and try to spend no more than 2 weeks on any one project. its ok to fail - just go to the next one.

Jun 11, 18 9:55 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

if you don't like that stuff, don't go to that school.  

i got a raspberry pi a while back, but just haven't had the time or focus to mess with it much.  i think it would be fun, but different strokes for different folks.

Jun 11, 18 11:12 pm  · 
 · 
coldwarmones

I have also been accepted into the DFPI programme this year and I'm debating on whether or not to accept. 

Out of curiosity what is your background and what do you hope to get from the course?

Jul 7, 18 11:28 pm  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

Paul McWhorter has a very good video series on arduino.  start from the beginning and follow along.  

youtube in general is a great resource for most things arduino

Jul 8, 18 4:43 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: