Archinect
anchor

What book that teaches about design process?

tatjok

Hello, I am currently in my 2nd semester now, and I am curious about books that teach about the design process, and other stuffs relating to that. Would be appreciating your recommendations! Thank you

Jun 11, 18 10:19 am
CandS

Just go buy that Ingels guys books and do whatever is in those - you'll be just like your classmates in no time!

Jun 15, 18 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

CandS

it's what I did - that and game design processes - it works - no oversophisticated intellectual stuff

Jun 15, 18 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
Sperticus

Revealing Architectural Design by Phillip Plowright.

Jun 16, 18 9:15 pm  · 
 · 
zonker
Balkins

Many game design concepts are based on 3D diagramming and events - events that determine program and form - many of these ideas can be found in Bernard Tschumi's event cities - Vol 1-4, he uses cinema, which in turn influenced game design - try and Google "the gameification of architecture" it's an interesting blog - also TU Delft, really did a lot in this area also
Jun 16, 18 10:27 pm  · 
 · 
zonker
Also Iannis Xenakis was in many ways the first to do what we refer to today as computational design - if he was alive today, he would be writing Python, and C# code for Dynamo
To find out more about this, go to SFDUG Dynamo to see the latest in computational design presentations
Jun 16, 18 10:34 pm  · 
 · 
nabrU

That area of work will be the first to be automated.

Jun 16, 18 10:36 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

No Iannis wouldn't, he would be in rocking it out with Thom Yorke and Ryoji Ikeda.

Jun 17, 18 12:09 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Alva Noto when doing a boiler room set perhaps ;)

Jun 18, 18 9:01 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Find and follow the golden thread. Not a book. Saved you some time.

Jun 16, 18 10:43 pm  · 
 · 
zonker
Samuel Sharpe - Done - there are already a number of firms that have automated the Concept through SD process - It all been reduced some Dynamo and Grasshopper scripts - Thomson Thomasetti is developing AI to do many architectural tasks - code analysis of projects, ADA, stair and egress design, structural
In learning Dynamo so that Dynamo won't make me redundant - got bills to pay
Jun 16, 18 11:45 pm  · 
 · 
zonker
When I was in architecture school, one of my professors showed us the PLOT Bjarke Ingels website "this is it guys, do this"
It's really a 3D animated sequence of project morphology - Bjarke oversimplifies the process, makes it look easier than it really is - But it's a damn good way to articulate the design process and eliminates a lot of busy work that adds confusion
Jun 16, 18 11:58 pm  · 
 · 
archinine
Coffee
Draw things
Crumple up drawing and toss against wall
Bang head against wall
Coffee
Draw things slightly better than before

Repeat above until occupancy (or crit/publishing etc for those paper arch academics), less head banging after sd, but not necessarily none...
Jun 17, 18 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Coffee is on an exponential curve.

Jun 18, 18 9:07 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: