Archinect
anchor

March portfolio and BA vs March

zachey

What are my options as a student wishing to pursue architecture as a profession and in my specific situation with my history of coursework?

I have a Bachelor degree in a Modern Foreign Lanjuages and I’m currently in a post-graduate program with the same area of study. I have one year remaining.

How can I make the most of the year I have left in my current program? As far as taking courses that be advantageous when applying for a March? What is your advice to someone like me?

Finally, what is the likelihood of being accepted to March programs at schools like USC or Columbia, with no background in architecture?

Please, I am just beginning to switch pathways and I really need some input from people with experience. 

Thanks 

Jun 6, 18 8:20 am
zachey

also some portfolio tips?

How about woodworking, photography, music production, video editing? Could these be included in a portfolio?

Jun 6, 18 8:21 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Why the switch? Do you know anything about architecture and how it is practiced?

Use the search function in the forums and you'll find plenty of portfolio examples. Your portfolio needs to start by demonstrating you understand the very basics: Scale, shape, light, materials, etc.  The medium is you choice however, visual arts hold the most value as those are the tools most commonly used.

Jun 6, 18 8:26 am  · 
 · 
zachey

Why? I think it’s obvious. I want to pursue architecture as a career. I don’t want to pursue a career with my current degree. 

Jun 6, 18 8:30 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I think it's key question since you're looking at a shit-tonne more school and debt if you don't know what we do on a day to day basis. More importantly, most people take years to assemble portfolios.

Jun 6, 18 8:49 am  · 
 · 
thatsthat

A lot of people say they want to pursue architecture, but what they generally mean is they want to make pretty pictures on the computer and never work for a real client who pays in real money where they have to consider codes, laws, permitting, etc. The perception is generally off from reality for most people. I can't tell you have many disappointed interns/young staff there are who just want to make models all day just like school, but can't do a code review to save their lives. That's why the question comes up.

Jun 6, 18 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
archinine
It does not take years to assemble a portfolio for a school application. Especially if you already have works to include that are decently well documented. Learn indesign, research portfolio examples, and submit a draft to peers for a review.

It’s really better to not include any attempts at architecture at this point, the admissions people want to see your potential as architectural student, not an ill informed interpretation of architecture prior to any education on the topic.

The question of applications with a non arch background has been asked many times on this forum. Yes it can be done, the M.Arch is specifically designed for someone in your situation, and plenty of people go that route and are very successful.
Jun 6, 18 9:07 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

My "takes years to assemble" comment refers to the normal accumulation of creative work one does as a hobby/passion, not specifically taking years to do work only for a M.arch application.

Jun 6, 18 9:12 am  · 
 · 
archinine
NS, OP already indicated they have some materials and wondered if those works are appropriate. As usual you’re being super combative and presumptuous to someone asking a valid and honest question.
Jun 6, 18 9:16 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

honestly, I thought I was being helpful. Point taken.

Jun 6, 18 9:19 am  · 
 · 
zachey

I am aware of what the job entails and what a day-to-day might look like. This has already been considered. 

I’m not sure whether you were referring to a Barch + March pathway when you said ‘it’s a key question since you’re looking at a shit-tonne more school,’ or just one of those. It may not have been clear in my post but I intend to pursue a 3-4 March program OR a three year Bachelors in Germany. Not both. This would mean about 3-4 years of school which, to me, is not actually near a ‘shit-tonne.’ It’s a practical amount considering  

Thanks for the portfolio tips !

I’m looking for practical advice for someone starting on the path to a career in architecture, not a psychological analysis of why I’m choosing to change careers. But I see your concern.  

Jun 6, 18 9:20 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

It appears I failed to see your earlier 28years-old post which clears a few things up.

Jun 6, 18 9:26 am  · 
 · 
Crosshatch

I can't speak to how successful you'll be at USC or afterwards, but I was in a similar situation a little less than a year ago. After taking a semester of classes in architecture & art at a local community college, I had the references & pieces needed to apply to MArch programs in December/January. My background is in Music Ed but I made it into 3 out of the 4 MArch programs I applied to, one of which was USC where I'll be starting in the fall.

Also, if you'd like more about how to work up a portfolio see the earlier thread titled "How To: MArch application portfolio with no arch background".

Jun 6, 18 1:31 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: