Archinect
anchor

From BFA to M.Arch

Artchitecture

I'm a sculptor, builder and designer working freelance as well as a few longer term positions (ie: theatrical set and prop construction, furniture restoration, decor design, sculpture, picture framing, production manager of a print shop, etc.) within my field since graduating with my BFA in 2011

I'm currently looking into M.Arch schools, and I'm looking for advice on which schools may be best for me with my leanings toward sculpture, installation, and perhaps an approach to architecture with an emphasis on the more creative side of things.  I'd prefer to look within the Tri State area, but really, anywhere in North America would be a great suggestion.  Thanks!

Jun 4, 18 3:52 pm
geezertect

What do you expect the M.Arch to do for you?  Sculpture, installations, and the "creative side of things" don't sound like they require a license, and I don't know why anyone would bother with a license if you don't need to.

Jun 4, 18 6:07 pm  · 
 · 
Artchitecture

I'm aware I don't need a license to practice art, I've been doing so for 7+ years. I would like to be a licensed architect, hence the desire for the M.Arch. Just looking for programs specifically geared toward my background if any such programs exist. A more arts based architecture program rather than say, an urban planning, environment planning, etc.

Jun 5, 18 12:20 pm  · 
 · 

The MArch could help you think through the scale and structural issues (I’m thinking about Louise Bourgeois’ larger works when I state that), but there’s so much up front - the design- that it’s going to take you in a very different direction quickly. 

So is sculpture that you’d really want to get out of this? And not to be cynical, are you emboldened by people like Eliasson and Heatherwick?

Jun 4, 18 6:27 pm  · 
 · 
Artchitecture

I've been thinking of architecture for a number of years, not just since Eliasson hit the news, but he, and others like him are certainly a point of inspiration. My goal here is to work as an architect. I already have a background in art, and I am looking for a program that will allow me to use that background as a jumping point into architecture.

Jun 5, 18 12:17 pm  · 
 · 

You made that clear in your initial post, but you also suggested that you want the degree to pursue more art related practices. How you would leverage your BFA as a means to develop an architectural approach is up to you really. I’m sure there are other people with BFA’s on Archinect that could tell you how a BFA with it’s own intensive focuses aided and limited their respective experiences. That said, RISD would indeed be the most sensitive to your goal to marry sculpture and architecture.

Jun 5, 18 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
Beepbeep

RISD

Jun 4, 18 9:57 pm  · 
 · 

+++

Jun 4, 18 10:26 pm  · 
 · 
Artchitecture

This was in line with my thinking, schools that have both a Fine Arts and Architecture program are probably going to have what I'm looking for.

Jun 5, 18 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
archeyarch

maybe find a program that is less related to your background.  it would make you broader and more versatile.

Jun 8, 18 12:53 am  · 
 · 
ARCHCareersGuide.com

For a full list of accredited architecture programs, visit the following : 

www.naab.org

https://www.studyarchitecture....

Both have listing of programs -- Given your background, you may wish to start with institutions with both architecture and art (sculpture).  

Off the top of my head --

RISD

SCAD - Savannah College of Art & Design

Mass Art

I am sure there are others -- also, why limit yourself to the tri-state area; this is an opportunity to find the best program for you.

Try to attend a college fair in the fall - Boston, Philadelphia, or New York

Boston, MA – Saturday, September 29, 2018

Boston Society of Architects – Architecture / Design College Fair

https://www.architects.org/programs-and-events/architecture-design-college-fair-2017 

Philadelphia, PA – Saturday, October 6, 2018

Temple University – Philadelphia Architecture + Design Fair

https://tyler.temple.edu/events/philadelphia-architecture-design-fair-1 

New York, NY – Saturday, November 3, 2018

Center for Architecture – Architecture & Design College Fair

https://www.centerforarchitecture.org/k-12/architecture-college-fair/

Jun 9, 18 10:47 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: