Archinect
anchor

Digital Fabrication and Technology Focused Masters Degrees in Europe

bye bye bayou

So I'm about a year out form actually applying but I'm taking a trip to Europe in August and need to lock down travel plans. I'm applying to three different graduate schools and I plan on visiting every single one and hopefully meeting with some of the faculty members before I apply.

I've lock down two that I will apply to:

1. Cranbrook for a conceptual/arts direction

2. Delft University for an urban design direction

I would like to apply for a architectural technology focused program and want to stick to European programs. First, it's cheaper even as an American and second I wanted to learn the European prospective on architecture and building. 

I was planning on applying to Stuttgart ITECH program but the more I research, I'm not sure if it's the best place for me.  I'm second guessing based on these 3 reasons:

1. It's very technical. I like this about the program but my strong suits tend to lean more towards the conceptual and artistic side. I've gotten hired based on these skills and I don't see why applying to graduate school would be any different. 

2. I would have to learn German. Although the program is in English, the university itself makes you take an aptitude test for German. I wouldn't mind trying to learn, but it's a big endeavor for a program I'm not sure if I'll get into. Also, their advanced math test is supposed to be fairly intense.

3. Where would I go with this degree? I like that it's very research intensive but other than academia, where do students usually end up after graduation? 

I'm wondering if I would be better off applying to a program that suited my skill set like IAAC, KADK, PoliMilan, or IoA Vienna. 

Here's a link to my portfolio that I used to land my current job. Obviously it will need to be updated with my professional work before applying.

https://issuu.com/wademeadors/...

Here is a link to my linked in for my resume.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/wa...

Thank you if you read the entire post. Please let me know your thoughts, suggestions, and criticisms.

May 31, 18 10:37 pm
seth.zimmerman

Hello Wade,

I may not be the best person to answer these questions as I am still in my undergraduate degree, but I am also very interested in ITECH. I come from an engineering background, mechanical draftsman/amateur engineer throughout my teens, this is what drew me to ITECH as I am quite technical in my methods and rely on computation quiet heavily. Due to the fact that you are not technical seems to be a fairly large problem as ITECH is a mash of engineering, computation, and research applied to architectural design. Your application is simple graded from 0 to 100 points (having a BSArch or BArch 20 points, 1 point for every ten class you had a 3.0+, sample work 0 to 30 points, and the list goes on). 70+ points puts you in the second round which is to my knowledge an interview for international applicants. The German language concern is not needed as ITECH does not ask for German proficiency at all and UoS does not require it for any English taught masters programs, and Mathematics exams and others are only need if the admissions committee deems your undergraduate degree as insufficient this is stated in the admissions regulation papers (which are in German and are course specific). From ITECH you work as a researcher in academia or for a group like BRG, Zaha Code, or some group like them. For your portfolio do you have any strong conceptual work using methods taught at ITECH like processing, grasshopper, etc. that in my opinion would be better than any uni or professional work that is simply a building. Even though it seems like it may not fit you perfectly why not try, and out of the other schools mentioned IAAC would be my next choice if I wanted to be in the EU the US has some options like Michigan (more art stuff imo), CMU, and a few others. I hope this helped a little bit. Best of luck

-Seth Louis Zimmerman                  

Jun 6, 18 10:04 pm  · 
1  · 
chowdhuryaliimamshuvo

Hello Seth,

would you please tell me the full grading criteria for Itech program. It will help me to prepare myself for the program. Thanks in advance.

Jan 17, 19 6:17 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: