Archinect
anchor

M. Arch Application with no Architecture Background

kirissa

Hi Everyone,

I graduated with my bachelors in Anthropology and Law & Society (Double Major) from the University of Toronto, but I want to apply for the M. Arch. I have no architectural background at all so I am very confused on what I should include in my portfolio. Any help or ideas would be great. Thanks !

May 30, 18 5:56 pm
joseffischer

I always wondered this.  I just assumed they left a set number of spots open for people like you and they included anything they could think of that was creative.  Architects love photography and art.  Try that?

May 30, 18 6:07 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
You’re likely the target abdicate for UofT’s March ptogram. Have you gone to visit the school? They can probably help you out.

Don’t try to do architecture in your portfolio since you have no clue what that is. Show off your artistic flare and demonstrate that you can handle the basics like composition, light, scale, etc. Whatever medium you choose is fine however, I discourage photography. Everyone with a dsl is a photographer these days so unless you’ve won prizes, focus on something else.
May 30, 18 6:39 pm  · 
 · 
joseffischer

That is true... don't focus on photography or art for that matter if you aren't sure you're objectively good at it. I'm rubbish on photography, but I can at least tell the difference between someone who used a smart phone and someone who knows what they're doing and has a dedicated camera to do such work. We have a kid in the office who has a drone and cameras and does some really amazing multi-image long exposure aerial shots. According to him, once you know what you're doing and have the equipment, getting the shots is actually quite easy, but one shot represents about 5 years and $$$ of equipment of his professional 'hobby'.

May 31, 18 11:02 am  · 
 · 
thatsthat

If you took a drawing, painting, pottery, etc., class - really any kind of class to develop some skills at light, composition, handwork - at a community college or local college, you could include something like that.  Or if you did something on the side like welding/metalwork or furniture, that would also be interesting.

I second NS.  Don't do photography unless you're already really into it and have won prizes or an exhibition or something notable.

May 31, 18 12:14 pm  · 
 · 
kirissa

Thank you for all the help guys!

Jun 1, 18 9:47 am  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

half of the m.arch 1's at the gsd have no design background.  i think this is true for most programs that have large (~60) class sizes

Jun 3, 18 12:35 am  · 
 · 
Crosshatch

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: