Archinect
anchor

Inbetween Spaces

francoferraro

Hello fellow architects,

Lately i´ve been highly interested in designing inbetween spaces. Other Architects call inbetween space polivalent, ambiguous, undefined, gradient places. I would like to know your thooughts about the topic so we can learn about it as a community. Any personal experience? maybe book reccommendations? cant wait to get this going!

Cheers!

May 29, 18 4:48 pm
Wood Guy

I don't know the term polivalent, but in general I agree that the edges and in-between spaces are often the most interesting. Being the practical sort, I think of thick doorways, lined with books or panels; windows recessed into thick walls, porches and patios as indoor/outdoor spaces, and the paths between garden beds rather than the beds themselves as a few examples. Too much architecture is essentially a piece of sculpture sitting in a field, or a collection of rooms all flowing into each other. (My own designs included.) 

It sounds like you're more academic in your approach--what is it that you find interesting about these types of spaces? 

May 29, 18 7:44 pm  · 
 · 
francoferraro

Hey! thanks for your reply. I like the way you translate into practice what i've been thinking as a concept. What i find interesting about In-between spaces is their capability of hosting spontaneous and unexpected events. I mean, when you design a space that is category-less; Events themselves will look to define that space. A paradox interestingly enough. In my own designs i have tried to apply the concept as porches and spaces that are a mix of outside and inside. But then again, materialized architecture never shows the full picture behind it.

May 30, 18 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

I like turtles

May 29, 18 7:44 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

What about the spaces in-between the in-between spaces?

May 29, 18 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
francoferraro

You just blew my mind. Lol

May 30, 18 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

but seriously thou, your concept will live of die based on how you describe "in-between".

May 30, 18 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

here is everyone's favorite Slovenian philosopher on the subject: 

May 29, 18 9:21 pm  · 
 · 
francoferraro

Thanks for the reccomendation!

May 30, 18 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
ZoeNaq
My thesis was based on the realm of the in-between. My teacher would keep asking me how I define an in-between space and that’s how my project evolved. So your first step would be to read texts by some important architects who have worked using that concept and you’ll be surprised at how differently this concept has been applied to big or small projects. I struggled to find what it meant to me but when I did, trust me it was so much fun exploring the idea. Look at precedences and identify what kind of an in between space that is, that’ll help you understand it deeper. For my thesis I looked at the micro yuaner library and Aberdeen city garden proposal, you can look them up for some ideas. So my argument was about how architects think about life within the buildings but rarely do we think about life between buildings , hence the underutilized sites and voids in our fabric were my main targets. There’s a pdf that’s available online based on the in between, give it a read - comparisons of in-between concepts by Aldo van eyck and kisho kurokawa -through theories of ‘twin phenomena’ and ‘symbiosis’. Read everything but the project will evolve from within you. Define it for yourself and take it from there.
May 31, 18 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

shhhh... Gordon Matta-Clark was doing this long time.

May 31, 18 7:03 pm  · 
 · 
Helsinki

Life Between Buildings google search should land you firmly in Gehl territory...

Jun 4, 18 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
Koww

this is a perennial topic that gets a lot of academics wet. Have fun!

Jun 5, 18 1:57 am  · 
 · 
randomised

inbetween architecture:

http://www.architecturaldrawin...

Jun 5, 18 6:10 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: