Archinect
anchor

Need help with modeling software

aedansheffar

I've created this 3D model in Sketchup but i'm wondering if something like this would even be possible in other programs like AutoCAD and Revit. The windows are the most concerning thing. 

May 24, 18 6:15 pm
Non Sequitur
Yes. Of course it’s possible.
May 24, 18 6:23 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip7

Why do you think it would not be possible?

May 24, 18 6:35 pm  · 
 · 
aedansheffar

I had a really hard time doing it in sketchup as the windows are out on top in on the bottom and out on the left and in on the right. It makes snapping difficult without curves.

May 24, 18 8:39 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip7

I could easily achieve this in Revit.

May 24, 18 8:45 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

It's a wicked simple shape to build in sketchup and not that unique. If you had issues with a pedestrian software like sketchup, you won't get very far in the more advanced ones.

May 25, 18 7:59 am  · 
 · 
aedansheffar

I should change what I said, I had a hard time getting this shape because it was my first time using a few of the tools that I had too. I haven't put very much time into it yet. I also just got Revit which I'm really enjoying so far.

May 26, 18 9:58 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Good answer. Sketchup is (was at least a few years ago) open sourced and allows plenty of free plugins. There are some that will mesh points and vectors and allow you to make complicated shapes. Good way to learn your way around 3D modeling.

May 26, 18 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
archinine
What you should be asking is if it’s possible in reality...anything is possible in most softwares. And yes that is very easy to do in revit. Cad is for 2D only. Don’t waste time trying to model in 3D in CAD it wasn’t made for that. Rhino is a great alternative and is much cheaper than autodesk products.
May 24, 18 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
aedansheffar

I've seen seen real structures with similar glass shapes so I believe it it possible. I'll check out Rhino. I also get most autodesk products for free because of their student licence.

May 24, 18 8:36 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

Now can we talk about how you intend to flash that bad boy? 

May 25, 18 9:18 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

What about that impossibly thin roof, or how the glass goes right to grade? Come on, anything to distract me from writing up all these payment certificates.

May 25, 18 9:26 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

This is how you do it now. You sell the digital model by telling people "It's real. See I modeled it. You can see it." That abstract stuff like loads and waterproofing isn't real. And then when the building doesn't look anything like the rendering, you run and hide. And yell. Lot's of yelling.

May 25, 18 9:31 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

then profit?

May 25, 18 9:33 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Massive profit. Except you then use it to go buy more software. The more software you have, the less brains you need. 

May 25, 18 9:36 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I just hate it when I have to buy new pencil sharpeners so that I'm up to date with Autodesk.

May 25, 18 9:41 am  · 
 · 

Make a virtual Pencil sharpener for your virtual pencils.

May 25, 18 10:05 am  · 
 · 
aedansheffar

I should probably start watching tutorials on youtube.

May 26, 18 10:02 am  · 
 · 
Almosthip7

I'm still looking for the door to get inside........

May 25, 18 10:53 am  · 
 · 
aedansheffar

It' s actually built for ghosts and they don't need a door.

May 26, 18 9:59 am  · 
 · 
Spoons

"Where do windows 10 screenshots go?"

May 26, 18 10:21 am  · 
 · 
aedansheffar

I found one article that said they go to work in the oil fields after high school but I think there probably more likely to work in the technology sector.

May 26, 18 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
archinine
^at least this kid has a sense of humor!
May 26, 18 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
aedansheffar

I'm only 17 and just like messing around with software.

May 26, 18 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
jniziolek

Try Vectorworks - download the free trial.  It's CAD/Revit & Sketchup in one Tool. Easy to learn and tons of online tutorials and webinars. :)  And you can still own it - no leasing.

Jul 24, 18 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Sketchup is pretty much the most basic shit out there. If its possible in sketchup, it should be possible in any other software, lol.

Jul 24, 18 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

this was really hard to model in sketchup, I wish I had  catia or vectorworks at the time

Jul 24, 18 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Or Rhino. Very easy to learn if you know CAD, and way more powerful....

Jul 24, 18 6:26 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

I like the triangulated windows.

Jul 25, 18 4:33 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: