Archinect
anchor

Which Canadian universities offer an accredited Bachelors program in architecture?

mikelo

Which Canadian universities offer an accredited Bachelors program in architecture?

What would be the fastest route to getting an architecture license in Canada?

May 10, 18 10:15 pm
Non Sequitur

None.

There are two paths to becoming an architect in Canada.

1. Complete an accredited M.Arch degree, complete minimum internship hours (3 to 5 years and cannot be completed prior or during university), then write exams.
  2. Register in the RAIC syllabus, spend 7ish years working in entry level gigs while completing basic studio courses, take exams.

Note that there are 10 (or is it 12 now) Canadian universities that offer bachelors in arch studies/science but these are not the same as the american B.Arch.  They help greatly, but are not required for most universities to enter their M.Arch programs.

So, fastest way is to do a 4y bachelors degree (preferably in a good architecture school) then a 2y Master's.  If you're half decent and find a good office, you can be writing your exams within 2y post graduation since you can take them at 50% internship competition.  Note that exams are held only once per year (November typically).  After that, just finish those hours and you're good to go... but even then, you're only an architect by title.  If you want to stamp your own work, there is a further step and it involves insurance and practice certificates.

Hope this helps.

p.s. Don't take the RAIC route.  At least with the typical 4+2 path you get a real degree whereas the other has no formal degree at the end.

May 10, 18 10:37 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip7

I am not entry level by any means, and I am enrolled in the Syllabus. You can make good money while studying at the same time. If your goal is to be a registered architect, the need for a formal degree is mute.

May 11, 18 4:51 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

That's because you had past experience. If you're fresh out of high school, you have nothing available to you. The syllabus is a path, but it is not the best one when you have the option. Success rate and work quality is poor on average and few come out ahead.

May 11, 18 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

6 years of formal education for an accredited arch degree is truly ridiculous. I received a 5 year accredited one from a Canadian school way back when they were still offered. First 3 years were absolutely top notch education, and last 2 were as useless as you make of it. Yes, your faculty are experts at igloos and prairie barns, and if your interests are not in the same vain, you will not get much out of that last part. Given that most educators are failed professionals, and you are just jumping through meaningless hoops that still don't prepare you for an actual career in architecture.

May 14, 18 10:07 am  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

You have a few options in the states for an accredited degree. Schools are phasing them out for the obvious money grab of 2 additional years.

May 14, 18 7:24 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

It's true there are more schools and options in the USA but given that canadian tuition is almost free (double free if quebec resident), I can't imagine an B.Arch to be a worth while investment for a canadian student. Is that extra year worth 100K more debt?

May 14, 18 8:27 am  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

Agreed. Just grin and bear it Mikelo.

May 14, 18 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
auninja91

Ouu can you expand on this part??

"if you want to stamp your own work, there is a further step and it involves insurance and practice certificates."

May 15, 18 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Separate but in addition to becoming a licensed architect, in canada, you need to apply (and pay) for a certificate of practice. This is the stamp that allows you to submit documents for construction and permit. This, at least in Ontario, includes insurance premiums. Plenty of folks think that passing the exams mean they get to stamp shit. It is rarely the case.

May 15, 18 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

In Ontario your stamp needs to be registered with a Certificate of Practice. Like you said you don’t get a stamp and away you go. So if you work for Company A... you registered your stamp with Company A. If you ever quit Company A you need to return your stamp to the OAA. Now if someone works for Company A and wants to do work on the side does one have to open an certificate of practice of their own and get a separate stamp? I’m asking for a friend who is American but working in Canada

May 16, 18 1:44 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Lost, I don’t believe you can have stamps registered to different certificates of practice. If your “friend” is licensed without a personal stamp but registered and practicing under their office’s certificate (very common), i’d be very wary to take side work. Not only would the current employer (holder of original certificate) grant permission, there will likely be heavy legal language involved so that if you get sued while working on the side, nothing can get back to the employer and their insurance. If your “friend” is an OAA member, they have free access to professional practice gurus for more details.

May 16, 18 7:38 am  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

Thanks NS
May 16, 18 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
auninja91

Oh okay thanks for laying down the facts NS!

May 17, 18 3:39 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: