Archinect
anchor

Going from Urban Planning undergrad to right Masters Program

28o.ucsd

Hi all,

I am an urban planning student at UC San Diego, and am double majoring in Environmental Systems: Policy. I want to continue on to a masters program in something related to my undergrad experience, but am not really sure how to differentiate between Urban Planning. Urban Design, Landscape Architecture, and Architecture masters programs.

Some additional info about myself: I am really interested in sustainable design topics: healthy cities, green technology, etc. I am in the process of getting a certificate in GIS and a certificate in CAD/Revit in my free time. I'm naturally drawn to more design-oriented classes that allow me to use things like Revit, Sketchup, or ArchGIS to visualize ideas. I ideally would love to stay either in CA (ideally the Bay, but I know how expensive/competitive that is) or somewhere along the west coast for school. I really just love learning and feel like I would be a good fit in graduate school, just having a hard time figuring out what would be the appropriate pathway. Any thoughts? 

May 8, 18 9:34 pm
thatsthat

If you're not sure which pathway you want to take, it's a good idea to not go spend money on school until you know.  (Grad school can be ridiculously expensive.)  I would suggest finding a job, even if it's just for a year, to get a better handle on what kinds of careers each of these masters programs lead to.  It doesn't have to be a forever job or the best job in the world - just something to get your feet wet, learn a little, and see where you want to go.  Working also puts you in a network of professionals that you can ask about their paths, education, what they find valuable, etc.,

May 9, 18 10:42 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: