Archinect
anchor

Graduate Degree: Urban Planning w/ Landscape Architecture or Urban Design?

davidreilly

Hi All, I'm new to this forum and the community as a whole. I'm 28, and after years of working in Sales and Hospitality, I finally finished my BA in Geography/GIS with the goal of becoming a Urban Planner/Designer

The problem is there aren't too many Graduate Urban Design degrees out there and it seems like whether they offer dual degrees or one behind the other, they seem ti be pairing Urban Planning with Landscape far more often. 

The social sciences that define Urban Design are very important to me and something I truly want to master, as well as the design techniques/software/skills. But now I am wondering do I need Landscape Architecture as well? 

All very confusing to me. Just to organize everything: To become an Urban Planner is my goal because I'm good at problem solving, research and analytics, however I also wish to become just as good in Urban Design because taking into consideration such things as social issues, global comparison, policy, etc. when city building is extraordinary to me and I want a career doing that. 

So, in everyone's opinion, what route should I pursue academically? 

1.) Dual Degree: Urban Planning & Urban Design

2.) Urban Planning w/ concentration in Urban Design (And if there is none, just take the one year Design degree after Planning degree)

3.) Dual Degree: Urban Planning and Landscape (MLA)

4.) Just Urban Design (Since this is my passion...or must I have a foundation of Urban Planning career-wise?) 

I apologize if this is confusing to anyone, I am just trying to get any intel I can. 

May 8, 18 12:54 pm

Are there firms that do what you want to do for a career?

if yes, I would introduce yourself to someone at a mid level there and ask to get coffee and discuss how they got to be in that type of position. Just be clear to the people you reach out to that you are asking for advice and not a job.

This will be much more informative than comments section here.

Over and OUT

Peter N

May 8, 18 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
davidreilly

Thanks Man. I will do just that

May 8, 18 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

Where are you located? There are several firms doing landscape architecture, urban design, new community design, brownfield revitalization, etc. around the US. From what you describe, your best fit is the MLA, planners don't usually design anything.

May 8, 18 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
davidreilly

I'm in Dallas - Fort Worth right now, but I'll be moving to wherever the job is. Yea, the more I research and understand, the more I'm focusing on MLA and MUD

May 8, 18 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

Tough call. I think it depends where you want to work. Do you want to work for a City government? Are there urban design practices you like? Who? Do you want to work for a landscape architect that does urban design work? Who? Without answers to those questions, it's impossible to answer your question.

May 8, 18 4:02 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: