Archinect
anchor

TU Delft (MSc Architecture) Rejection Feedback

kkzj

Hi guys,

I've just received the admission decision for the application of MSc Architecture in TU Delft (first and only choice) yesterday. I got rejected. The application has been rejected for the following reason(s):

- The Selection Committee considers the quality of your portfolio insufficient.
- The portfolio does not demonstrate the required abilities to communicate in a concise way and to express ideas effectively. The presentation of the projects in the portfolio in words and drawings does not explain sufficiently their architectural character and quality.

I tried my best to fit in several projects ranging different scale and sites context. I do appreciate your honest feedback on my portfolio and how it can be further improved for next year application. You can view the submitted portfolio here. Thank you all in advance. :)

May 4, 18 11:13 am
archinine
I was expecting something quite amateurish but this portfolio is quite a lot better than most on here.

That said it’s heavily reliant on renderings. Not a fan of the monochrome, even less with the monochrome mixed with color, which doesn’t seem to delineate anything. There’s a few diagrams and sketches but not many. The words feel lacking for some reason. Maybe they’re too small? Not that I would read them. But there isn’t much hierarchy to explain the diagrams.

This is an excellent portfolio for job applications but it lacks a raw/creative/exploratory or research feel that one would want/expect for an msc candidate. Something about it feels very rigid and corporate. Do you have any less formal or non architecture projects?
May 4, 18 11:56 am  · 
 · 
kkzj

Thank you for the honest feedback archinine. I'm not quite sure what do you mean by "there isn't much hierarchy to explain the diagrams", do you mind explain it further? Errm, I did some interior design work in the past for a nightclub (avatar like theme) haha, but I don't think it would be a good fit to the portfolio.

May 5, 18 3:06 am  · 
 · 
randomised

What's lacking im(h)o, is a personal motivation letter, yours is just too generic and doesn't say anything about you or your personal motivation to study architecture and specifically in Delft, it all seems circumstantial at best. And your projects don't show any process or hierarchy or something that explains why it looks the way it looks or what you've learned from your projects, it could all be one single project, I don't really see much differentiation or development. I do like the cover wireframe image, but don't really know where it belongs to. My guess is, it's not even a personal design project but from your work experience as a BIM drafter at DPA, which is obviously kind of lame to put on the cover of your personal portfolio.

May 4, 18 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
kkzj

Thanks randomised, that was really helpful! Will definitely go thru my motivational letter again. As you mentioned the projects in my portfolio lacks of process, development, hierarchy etc., perhaps you can share some of the works/portfolios that catch your attention so I can look up to?

May 5, 18 2:50 am  · 
 · 
Le Courvoisier

What randomised said. While good, the portfolio fails to grab me. The thing I remember most is that you made a literal potter's wheel floor plan for a center of ceramic arts. I'm not remembering that fondly.

Also way too many words. Graphically it is good though.

May 4, 18 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
kkzj

Thank you for the feedback, Le Courvoisier! Well, that certainly wasn't my intention. The circular shape just formed as I arranged the spaces around the underground bicycle path that emerged as part of the building design.

May 5, 18 2:40 am  · 
 · 
homme_du_jura

kkzj, 

Your motivation letter is full of language usage and grammatical errors.  I understand that English is not your first language, but by applying to a school outside your home country, you have made a commitment that English will be your primary language professionally for many years to come.  It helps to show the same amount of care in the text as you show in your designs.  See if you can find someone who can copy-edit your portfolio. Remember, you are trying to put your best foot forward. Every detail counts.  

May 5, 18 9:30 am  · 
 · 
kkzj

Hi homme_du_jura, thank you for the comment. I do agree with what you said, and I'm improving in English by reading more. ;)

May 14, 18 11:27 pm  · 
 · 
Oumkaltoum

Hello, sorry to hear about your rejection letter! 

I just wanted to ask you when did you submit your application and when did you receive an outcome? 

I didn't receive anything yet so I don't know what to do! 

Thanks! And good luck with your career !

May 14, 18 8:04 am  · 
 · 
kkzj

Hi Oumkaltoum, thank you. I submitted my application on 23/03, and received the outcome about 7 weeks later, on the 03/05. The process should take around 8 - 12 weeks, just keep an eye on Osiris like what I did. The Confirmation Statement deadline is on 1 June, so I think they will get back to you before that. All the best to you too! Hope you can get in, and don't forget to share your experience in TU Delft with us! :)

May 14, 18 11:37 pm  · 
 · 
Oumkaltoum

Thaank you for your answer !
! Let's hope for the best

May 16, 18 4:19 am  · 
 · 
Oumkaltoum

Don't you think about applying somewhere else?

May 16, 18 4:20 am  · 
 · 
kkzj

Yeah, will try out few more places. Any good news from Delft?

Jun 4, 18 5:45 am  · 
 · 
Oumkaltoum

Yes I received my admission letter last week ! Now I have to get my thesis defence in order to be able to register.

Jun 4, 18 5:53 am  · 
 · 
kkzj

Congrats Oumkaltoum! All the best to you.
Btw, why would they need the thesis defence at this stage in order for you to get registered.

Jun 5, 18 11:26 pm  · 
 · 
Oumkaltoum

I am conditionally admitted, so I have to get my degree before going to Delft.

Jun 6, 18 5:01 am  · 
 · 
Qcandy

Hi kkzj,

you are not alone. I received a rejection letter with exactly the same content as yours. So don't feel too depressed about that. I think the main reason we got rejected is that we submit it too late.(I submit it on 27th March.) So they can only offer limitted space for the best of best candidates, and send the same rejection reason to the rest.:)

Jun 3, 18 9:24 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Don't fool yourself that it is because of a latish submission if you did it before deadline, it's because of the content, how you present yourself in your letter and how you put your portfolio together...work on those.

Jun 3, 18 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
kkzj

Thanks Qcandy, I appreciate that. But I do agree with randomised on this. If one is really good, there's no reason for Delft to say no.

Jun 4, 18 5:53 am  · 
 · 
Sak123

how to get into tu delft and how to choose your projects to include in your portfolio and how the presentation of your portfolio should be !?

Jun 25, 20 5:00 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: