Archinect
anchor

Degree advise

trentonrops

Hey all,

I am just seeking advise on which degree path for architecture are best for what I want to pursue. I was previously at a different school studying civil engineering and just getting a lot of generals completed before transferring to the University of Minnesota to switch into architecture. I originally planned on the Bachelers if Science which was a structured 5 semester courseload. Throughout the year I have found out I now want to go into the land development/real estate path. I now am looking into pursuing a BDA or Bachelers of Design and then with the flexible courseload also getting a finance degree to help in the development field. I have been told that in the development world, it is better to come in with a broad set of skills like I am planning instead of a sole skill like a Bachelers of Science would give me. I want to hopefully be a developer that can run a business but also have a strong sense of how to design the buildings I wish to produce. I am also already a junior and these programs would start next year, giving me 1-1.5 years for the BDA and 2.5-3 for the BS. I guess I would just like to know if one degree is better than the other or what the pros and cons are in each. Also, if I discovered down the road that I do want to get my masters if the BDA is still a viable and qualified start to get licensed. I know this is a lot but any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Apr 30, 18 8:26 pm
ecnal

Architecture is not something you can spend a few years on and learn anything of great use. It takes the full degree, and then back that up with many years of professional practice before you'll have an idea of how to design well and deliver that design.

If you want to do real estate, do that.

If you want to do architecture, study architecture.

The overlap is minute.

May 1, 18 1:09 am  · 
 · 
trentonrops

I mean to be a full on land developer it would not be good to have both degrees? Not questioning your response at all I just had some relatives say that would be a good idea that are in the developement business.

May 1, 18 1:25 am  · 
 · 
trentonrops

And by full degree do you mean masters and then license or a Bachelors?? I was intending on getting a Bachelors of design in arch.

May 1, 18 1:31 am  · 
 · 
ecnal

To try and clarify, an architectural course (of any worth) would teach you about history, design concepts, ideology, politics etc. It will have almost no interest in how to make developments stack up financially, how to squeeze the last cent out of a budget etc...

Development and architecture are generally seperate and on opposing sides. At least, good architecture is. With very few exceptions.

Perhaps you'd be served by a general construction knowledge, which could be had at a building design (technical) type course.

May 1, 18 1:48 am  · 
 · 
محمدبسام

Hi everyone, this is Mohamed Bessam ....Final year student of architecture from india...can anyone pls tell me about How to join - Masters in architecture at National University of Singapore and what are all the grades, percentage that we should get at the Bachelor degree at B.Arch....?

Yours sincerely,

Mohamed Bessam

May 1, 18 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Is google broken?

May 1, 18 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Something's broken, that's for sure.

May 1, 18 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I think Rich_9x4's learning abilities certainly are. Maybe he should team up with Mo and combine their research skills.

May 1, 18 4:14 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: