Archinect
anchor

I need feedback for my Architecture portfolio?

sarahkhan

I want feedback on my Architecture portfolio. I'm in the process of applying to Grad schools and I thought my portfolio was alright but after 3 rejections....I'm perhaps too blind to my own work and can't see where I've gone wrong? 

Please let me know if anyone can take out the time. I'd really appreciate it!

Here is the link: 
https://issuu.com/sarahkhan425...

Apr 30, 18 9:57 am
Non Sequitur

I'd reject it simply on the basis of the poorly designed "full justify" text.  

That aside, it's just a bunch of generic renderings smashed onto pages.  Where is the design flair, the process work images, the dirty idea sketches?  Treat the portfolio like a design project and guide the viewer through the grand ideas of each project. Don't just plaster every image you've ever made onto the sheets. Curate the work and consider removing the fully saturated backgrounds.  

Apr 30, 18 10:34 am  · 
 · 
"""1991"

where did you apply?

Apr 30, 18 10:45 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!

It feels like a video game manual where each project is another game level. Sim City meets dota2. Even color palettes are spot on for spooky game world. 

Is gaming a big influence in your life? Is game design something you want to do? Your portfolio is not bad as a standalone graphic document. It just doesn't convey that you have interest in doing real world architecture. On some level gaming industry has completely misappropriated isometric drawings. I would not want my portfolio to heavily rely on them. 

Apr 30, 18 10:49 am  · 
 · 
joseffischer

Agreed, my first thoughts exactly

Apr 30, 18 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

The image on the cover is kind of interesting.

Apr 30, 18 10:54 am  · 
 · 
thatsthat

I agree with other comments here.  Totally get the gaming vibe from this.

It feels like too much of all one thing.  We get from the first few pages that you can render.  Can you make models or draw (even draft) by hand?  What other skills can you show?  Even if it's sculpture or painting or dance, that would be more than just a bunch of renderings.

The few 2D drawings you show - the symbols are too big and there are too many in my opinion.  Clean up some of the symbols and try to show your design.

Apr 30, 18 11:14 am  · 
 · 
devinbrown.arch

It seems to me you are missing the Why of each project.  You need to include more programmatic elements in the story of each project. Define the constraints and requirements of the project and how your design offered an inspired solution. Show the critical thinking that went into the projects, like someone said above show some process; diagrams, sketches (even if your didn't keep them recreate them), concepts. You designed the spaces shown in the images, explain to us why and how.

May 1, 18 11:35 pm  · 
 · 
arsurasmitameher

I would say, the portfolio is not coherent. It is meant to be in harmony, representing your strength in creativity and technicality, clean and to the point. The whole vibe is very Gothic to me. Keep it crystal clear and neat. I like the work on page no 16, though if it was well blended with page no 17, that would have been a perfect view.

Mar 31, 19 2:03 am  · 
 · 
Koww

you need feedback on your punctuation

Mar 31, 19 3:41 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: