Archinect
anchor

College application decisions

chlosherm

So I’m currently a highschool junior, so I have a bit of time before I have to actually start my applications. I’m pretty much fully committed to studying architecture and I’m looking for some advice. I live in the USA and I may have the opportunity to go to college in the UK at UCL. My question is would the international college experience be worth it? I live in Virginia so I’m actually quite close to my first choice in the states, Virginia Tech, which is ranked 3rd in the country for undergrad arch. Again I guess I’m just wondering would the money I would spend on college abroad at UCL (of course if I were to be accepted) be worth it for jobs in the future or the quality of education I would recieve there? 

Apr 29, 18 3:09 pm
Non Sequitur
Take the cheapest option.
Apr 29, 18 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
archinine
Depends where you want to work. Generally going to school close to where you intend to work helps for making connections/getting a job in that location.
Apr 29, 18 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
Archlandia
@archinine and Non Sequitur - I agree.

Also, if you want a better process for getting licensed in the states, study at a NAAB accredited school.
Apr 29, 18 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
thatsthat

Similar to what others have said, I would take the more economical option - VT.  They're still a great school and with a great price tag.  Yes you want the experience of college, but you also don't want to come out of it with a huge debt that is so burdensome that you can't pursue your interests or future education.  After undergrad, you may want to get a masters in architecture (very common, required in many states) so you want to be in a good financial position to be able to do that without making yourself live like a student for the rest of your life.  If you do decide to continue your education, you'll have the opportunity to go abroad then, continue at VT or just go to another school.  

Another thing to consider is, although you are dead set on architecture now, you may get to school and decide you'd rather pursue a different major.  At a school like VT, that presumably excels in many areas, you'll be in a great position to change your mind if you want without risking your financial future.

May 2, 18 8:57 am  · 
 · 
archinet

its a wise decision to invest money on your masters degree and try to save money on the undergrad. 

May 2, 18 10:01 am  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

In Virginia, most every firm around is going to have Tech grads.  Stop by a firm and see if anyone would be willing to talk to you about their school experience.  I've yet to run into a firm that didn't have someone willing to talk to people like you.  When you say you're close to Blacksburg, how far are you talking? 

May 2, 18 11:42 am  · 
 · 
Steeplechase

If you plan to practice in the US, then the B.Arch at Virginia Tech seems to be the most prudent route. Student loan debt is burden you want to minimize as much as possible. Look to see if there are study abroad opportunities as part of the architecture program, that way you could still have some of that diversified experience.

May 2, 18 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
thatsthat

Good point! A lot of programs have a required semester abroad component these days.

May 2, 18 4:45 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: