Archinect
anchor

Help deciding on a degree path!!

jameshainstock

So I’m right on the cusp of deciding on a university program to attend, with a lot of options. I would say my dream is architecture, but there are only 4 in the state, all very hard to get in. (&expensive) 

So I’m thinking a BS in architecture might be a little hard to attain at the moment, I would really need to go all in to hit the program requirements, and then battle low acceptance rates, and was considering a different professional degree with employability, and WILL allow me to go for my master of architecture, should I choose to do so (4 years from now is hard to predict) 

So what if I got a construction management degree, and then decided to go for my M.Arch? Do M. Arch’s require a related field to get in generally? Will construction management be a good stepping stone into architecture? Would a BS in C.M. be a good way to go regardless if I chose to go M.ARCH? 

I was considering urban planning, but I here that might narrow my options a little, and feel CM could be more broad. 

Any insight will be massively appreciated because I’m really at a loss now being pulled into a million directions. 

Apr 28, 18 9:05 pm
Beepbeep

CM will set you up nice! you might not even want to do architecture at the end of it. Or do some type of Engineering, and if when your done with either you can do an M.arch if you want.

Apr 28, 18 9:15 pm  · 
 · 
jameshainstock

​Awesome! Thank you for your reply. Yeah there’s only 4 accrededited schools here in MI, with U of M being the cheapest but hardest to get into. I just don’t think I’ll be able to get my GPA up high enough to not fall victim to the 29% acceptance rate. So i was looking any Wayne State, in Detroit for C.M.. Knock out a construction management degree, get a job (which I’m sensing is relatively “easy” from what I’m reading?) and then decide if I want to do my M.Arch somewhere.

Apr 28, 18 10:05 pm  · 
 · 
Beepbeep

I think Ferris State has CM and Architecture if you are a MI person. CM can be a great field, I am generally pretty envious of their job from my position as an architect.

Apr 29, 18 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
jameshainstock

Correct, they do. They don’t have an accredited arch program, but very well known for the C.M. I just don’t see myself living in the town it’s located in the next few years. Would you agree that getting my bachelors in C.M. (as opposed to another related path) is the best way to go if I do decide to get my M. Arch down the road?

Apr 29, 18 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
archeyarch

architects are making less than the trades, avoid it

May 4, 18 2:06 am  · 
 · 
jameshainstock

Kinda clinging to the “love what you do and never work a day in your life” sentiment

May 4, 18 3:46 am  · 
 · 
Beepbeep

This statement is BS, you wont love it when you make 65k a year and owe 100k plus in student loans with a license and 6 years of employment at well known firms- this is a good situation in architecture. Then your Brother-in-law just finished undergrad in finance and real estate and starts at 110k plus 20% bonus. Stay in CM or RE in the Built Environment don't be an idiot.

May 4, 18 11:10 am  · 
 · 
starling
CM is a fine career path if you are interested in architecture. You could even consider working for a development firm; you still get to build and you will be paid much better than an architect. Then you will really love what you do!
May 10, 18 11:14 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: