Archinect
anchor

New Architect-in-Residence at Cranbrook: Gretchen Wilkins

First time a woman architect is heading up the Cranbrook studio!

I have this fantasy that everyone else is, like me, spending Friday afternoon googling Dr. Wilkins and listening to her Vimeo content. So far I'm super impressed.

https://archinect.com/news/art...

Apr 27, 18 1:59 pm
won and done williams

Is that the right link?

Apr 27, 18 2:18 pm  · 
 · 

yES - IT'S ONE OF TWO TIMES HER NAME HAS APPEAREDD ON aRCHINECT, BOTH RELATED TO THE coMPETITIONOF coMPETITIONS.

Apr 27, 18 2:40 pm  · 
 · 

Oops, sorry - CADding

Apr 27, 18 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

I see. I missed that. She was teaching at Michigan in the early aughts when I was a student there. I never had a class with her, but she definitely represents an era at Michigan to me with Keith Mitnick, Mireille Roddier, Jason Young, Karen M'Closky, Tom Buresh, etc.

Apr 27, 18 3:03 pm  · 
 · 

God I'm old - Mirielle was a freshman student in a class I TA'd in undergrad!

Apr 27, 18 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

If it makes you feel any better, they were all younger faculty there at the time; it's been interesting watching where their various careers have taken them. It's an accomplished group.

Apr 27, 18 3:30 pm  · 
1  · 
shellarchitect

cranbrook.....i'm super annoyed that they are charging $55 for tours of the FLW home they just bought

Apr 27, 18 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
Flatfish

Didn't Susanna Torre head Cranbrook architecture back around 1990?

Apr 27, 18 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

I think she ran the entire place, not just the Architecture studio. Nonetheless, Gretchen is super talented and a great addition for Cranbrook.

Apr 27, 18 5:11 pm  · 
 · 

Exactly. Susanna Torre came to visit and crit the architecture studio when I was a student, then was hired shortly thereafter as director of the entire Art Academy.

Apr 27, 18 7:12 pm  · 
 · 
Flatfish

They had a woman head of the whole school almost 30 years ago but didn't have a woman head of the architecture studio until now?? I thought most architecture schools had roughly equal gender balance in faculty these days, and about 2:1 M:F for administration. Why is this one so behind?

Apr 28, 18 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

No idea. Probably something to do with the Architect in Residence typically having pretty long tenures. In general the school is more progressive than most.

May 30, 18 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
ether

bitchin.  can't wait to see the new work

Apr 30, 18 11:43 am  · 
 · 
bye bye bayou

It's funny, I've been planning on applying to Cranbrook for a few years now and had done all this research into William Massie, and then they changed their dean... 

She seems like a good fit though! I'll have to subscribe to her Vimeo/Youtube channel. Any book recommendations? 

May 30, 18 9:09 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: