Archinect
anchor

London Metropolitan University MA- is it a good programme?

Iva_J

Has anybody here graduated from London Met? Could you, please, share your experience? 

I have unconditional offer (which I defer to this year). The cost of the programme is a bit high for international students and school is very low in all rankings. Despite that  I find the atmosphere of the school very pleasant (I was there once).

I'm an architect with 7+ years of practice, mostly in urban design and planning B.Arch and MA Urban Studies (from the University of Manchester). I'm looking for an interesting programme to develop art skills and to get some UK experience. I'm slowly saving money and can't decide should I take the offer or apply next year for better schools.  

Many thanks. 

Apr 27, 18 10:09 am
TED

Which MA?

What do you consider better schools? 

Apr 27, 18 10:15 am  · 
 · 
Iva_J

Yes, MA. Then sit Part 1 and go to the second year of part II in London Met. Better- AA, Manchester School of Architecture, Delft and AHK in Amsterdam. Many TU in European capitals.I don't know how London Met is reputable and how strong the education is there. The second question is it realistic to work part time during studies?

Apr 27, 18 10:20 am  · 
 · 
TED

In the UK, you can generally enter a part 2 without Part 1 except for AA which is a integrated 5 year award.  So would assume you could apply now to MSA and get in.  You use your part 2 course work at the end of the prrogramme to apply for Part 1. You should be able to get into London Met's Part 2 programme. If you look at the optional modules, there is a large overlap with the MA.  UK Schools generally have later applications - 

More than league tables, student/staff ratio is more important and if the university is research based, generally Russel Group.  Queens Belfast and Edinburg good alternates and great cities. These universities offer great support - 

Look at time tables of universities - many 'Semerster' unis only run 2 semesters of 12 weeks v. 15 weeks or 3 terms of 10 weeks (aa and others)

Apr 27, 18 10:44 am  · 
 · 
TED

London Met has gone through changes and is struggling financially. Old head (Mull) left and VC is changing.

Apr 27, 18 10:49 am  · 
 · 
Iva_J

Thank you for useful advice- I'll definitely go into it and apply to different schools. But still, London is a priority due to my personal circumstances (at least I have a place to stay and friends, maybe I'm a bit paranoid about uncertainty). I just wonder how professional community see London Met? I was suprised when I got an offer in 24 hours without interview (it looks like they take all applicants)

Apr 27, 18 10:56 am  · 
 · 
Iva_J

So it looks like it's not the best choice. Well, that sad. Thank you a lot for advice!

Apr 27, 18 11:00 am  · 
 · 
TED

Generally most UK MA's accept most students if you meet the min criteria of IELTS and 2.2 Undergrad equiv. 

Having a place to stay and friends is important - UK is very safe  - and living cost in Belfast - Edin are very inexpensive.  If its London - give Bartlett a go next year.  Definitely worth it - put together a great portfolio - look online to the work that comes out of the school. You would not have a problem getting a job anywhere coming out of Bartlett.

Apr 27, 18 11:14 am  · 
 · 
Iva_J

Got the idea. I personally know and worked with UCL alumni and even with a person who graduated B.Arch from London Met- both long time ago. They are both very creative architects. If I save money to study in UCL I'll be very happy, but realistically I'd look for something more affordable

Apr 27, 18 1:05 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: