Archinect
anchor

Syracuse or Sci-Arc?

aminashinasylova

Hi, I am an international student who got accepted to Sci - Arc and Syracuse. I need to choose soon, however I am stuck. I got waitlisted for my first choice school, which is Pratt. (Hoping for the best) Syracuse architecture program rejected me, however environmental and interior design program accepted me. I really like the major, its pretty interesting. I can also minor in architecture there. 

I like syracuse as a school, however PLACE IS BORING AF. Also, its super COLD! I am Florida.. not used to cold weather.  

And there is Sci-Arc, its in LA. It's in a city and its warm. however people say that u spend 24/7 in the studio. I kinda want to have a personal life. Also, they don't offer dorms and people say that u need to know a lot of stuff about architecture prior coming to school. I don't know anything about it. Well, a little bit. Also their deposit if freaking expensive, 15K for an international student. So if I get accepted to Pratt, my deposit will forfeit.... AAAHHHH help me pls. 

Apr 27, 18 10:17 am
TED

Tell SciArc you need additional time - Certain they will hold your place.  Call Pratt - get sense of when they will notify you - Once you give $15k to SciArc you should go -

Apr 27, 18 10:53 am  · 
 · 
“””1991”

is this for graduate school or what?

Apr 27, 18 11:20 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

15K deposit? No wonder your system is broken.

Apr 27, 18 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
archinine
Nyc gets cold too. Half the year is miserable outside, if that’s something that’s important to you. Not much warmer than Syracuse, especially for someone coming from Florida...

If this is for an accredited m.arch program you’ll be spending most of your time in studio no matter which you attend. However if you manage your time well you can have a social life and still get your work done regardless of the school.
Apr 29, 18 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
Thayer-D

I hope you get in to Pratt, excellent city and neighborhood.  I'd go where the architecture's most interesting, which has to be LA.  Plus it has a pulse.  Then again you have both a NYC and Florence program at Syracuse.  Down side of Sci-arc is you won't learn anything about architecture as the art of building.  Not sure Syracuse is any better, but looks a little more grounded in reality.

May 2, 18 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
nicavero
If you want to work in the states choose based on the location you’d like to work after your degree. Syracuse has a really strong alumni network on the East Coast, and Sci-Arc has a good network in LA.
May 5, 18 2:14 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: