Archinect
anchor

Academic Path for an Urban Designer

Maxim3

I am very interested in the design and layout of cities at a variety of scales.

I am just about to complete my 4 year undergraduate degree in Urban and Regional Planning. I am about to accept my admission offer to a 3 year master of landscape architecture.

I know some people choose to do a master of urban design, etc. but I want to know if I am choosing the right path. I don't want to strictly be a landscape architecture and I have a brief understanding that the two field merge quite often.

Has anyone done a similar academic path such as I? Can an urban designer be an urban designer without an actual degree?

Thanks.

-YD

Apr 25, 18 10:22 am
citizen

Many (if not most) who practice urban design don't have a degree with "urban design" named in it.  This is a manifestation of the field's broad-hybrid-eclectic nature.

Architecture, landscape architecture, and planning are by far the more common degree paths.  (Obviously, the particular courses and focus of design work in school are related but NOT necessarily the same as the general degree title might suggest.)

I think a 1st professional MLA makes a lot of sense.  Good luck!

Apr 25, 18 12:22 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: