Archinect
anchor

USC or University of Michigan M.Arch II?

Nush@0511

Have currently narrowed down to USC and UMich among my admits. I am confused because: UMich is definitely a better school, but USC is offering a part scholarship and it is located in LA, which is a plus point for job opportunities (Correct me if I'm wrong). Any suggestions/ feedback based on experience will be much appreciated! Thanks!

Apr 22, 18 10:53 am
.indd

I don't know much about either programs but didn't you have to let them know by April 15?

Apr 22, 18 11:57 am  · 
 · 
Janosh

Either from an academic or practical perspective, Michigan is the better school for an M.Arch.

Apr 23, 18 6:11 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

I'm speaking as an architect based in Los Angeles, with 15 years of experience hiring graduates here as well as participating in reviews at both of the schools. I only however taught at one of them.

I can agree that USC might be a better fit for a student whose long term goal is working in LA due to proximity and networking. Although there are a lot of UM folks out here I think they are stronger in NY and Chicago.

Apr 23, 18 9:46 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

I appreciate your passion if not your charm. Obviously you've some research* - what is tuition per semester at Michigan out of state versus USC?

*Recent USC graduate perhaps?

Apr 24, 18 1:14 am  · 
 · 
Janosh

Obviously a scholarship is a great thing, but total cost of attendance is what matters. Anusha, it would be a good idea to compare tuition and cost of living over the entire time that you'd be there. How many semesters they expect you to attend based on your standing and prior education might make a big difference. 

Apr 24, 18 10:18 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: