Archinect
anchor

stuck in designing space accordance to form via comments from lecturers.

catalzzy

Hello,

I am a final year student. I am currently studying bsc architecture in malaysia. Currently i am designing a train station with 4 lanes. I have made different kind of sketches for my concept and functional spaces to be implemented into my design. After many times of consultation with different lecturers who have different architecture background such as one from USA, one from the UK etc. I realized when i notice different things in their architecture taste. It is not me to be judgemental because i noticed something in their mindset.

In my design, i have alot of curves that is related to orgranic form. There is a use of  an curved wall/slanted wall within the space. Spaces are free flowing. When i consult from a lecturer who have been studied in the west, they liked the concept of my design and helped me to do the structure for the space up to the roof.

Then i consult another lecturer who have been studied in malaysia, they disagree with the form because it is too complicated. they could not recognize the slanted/curved wall from the floor plans. especially in elevations/sections like the curve roof from the roof level to ground floor is too much. They prefer stacking type of architecture and improve the facade plus a pitched roof meaning that just remove the curves and make it straight

Every individual have their own architecture taste and their own culture.

I do not know what i should listen to because usually for assessment, most of them are local architects. I need to have a freedom in function and form. 

I would like to have some advice from you guys.

Thanks

Apr 18, 18 10:28 am
Non Sequitur

Pick what you think creates the best design and make sure your ideas are well explained so that no one is confused by the drawings.

Apr 18, 18 10:33 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Say "ok, thanks" then do what you think is best.

Apr 18, 18 10:46 am  · 
 · 
randomised

It's your project, not theirs. Consult the lecturers that can help you bring your ideas to fruition and remember that you pay them to help you, not the other way around.

Apr 18, 18 11:03 am  · 
 · 
catalzzy

I am kinda worried cos its time for me to change my architectural taste. the past semesters, most of my design is straight up with stacking involved cos i listened to what they say. Feels like i have enough with these kind of design. I am literally scared cos i need to finish this year. architecture is seriously taking a toll on my body. =.= 

Apr 18, 18 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Yes, school is difficult. That's the point. Pick something you feel is worth the effort and nail its balls to the wall with extra awesome sauce.

Apr 18, 18 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
catalzzy

true. so should i go with my guts that i feel my design should work. i do revit. when i did revit. the lectureres could not understand the drawings because they were used to manual drawing which they understand old style drawing convention? not sure.

Apr 18, 18 12:49 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: