Archinect
anchor

Thinking about leaving school

KHendo

Hey everyone, this is my first time on the site and I just need some help with this.

I just graduated with a BA in Architecture and I was planning on pursuing my Masters but honestly this year has made me want to just quit and go ahead and enter the workforce. I was already on the fence about continuing with school and now I think that I need a break. 
The studio professor I have this semester has been discriminating against all all year and we have trying to get help but the college refuses to admit the problem exists. I don't know if I want to stay in a place where they treat the students like this. 

But now I'm looking at jobs that are available and I honestly don't know if I qualify even for entry level jobs, I am proficient in rhino and revit but I don't have any firm experience and I am worried that there's no way I will be able to get a job without it.   Im really just looking for some advice, no one in my family has any experience with the design field and I really want to know what I can do in the future.

Apr 18, 18 2:01 am
randomised

Well, you do qualify for something, you have a BA in architecture.

Apr 18, 18 4:29 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

You'll still be lacking in firm experience if you hang on for the masters.  Everybody has to climb that hump when they transition to work.  I say take a break and clear your head.  The job market is apparently good in most places right now, and who knows how long that will last.  You can always return in a year or two.  Also, consider getting your masters--if you want one--at a different school.  Different people, different perspective, etc.

Apr 18, 18 7:39 am  · 
 · 
archi_dude

Oh man there’s an awful lot of discrimination in the working world as well. Just the other day my boss discriminated against me on some details I made. He said something about waterproofing and gave me redlines! The harassment!

Apr 18, 18 8:47 am  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

fuck that... you should organize a walk out... just don't walk out to starbucks... or target... or basically anywhere... maybe you should organize a sit in... 

Apr 18, 18 11:33 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

A leak in.

Apr 18, 18 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
auninja91

Can you get your masters at another school? if you stay at the same school, can you take classes with other professors and avoid the offensive one?

you can enter work force with just BA, it will be good to get some experience before doing the masters, that's what i'm doing to make sure a masters is what I really want.

you should apply for any entry level, junior position or internship, drafting...

Apr 18, 18 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
KHendo

Yea, I honestly don't know if I want to continue anyway, I was thinking about taking some time off before all of this started and now I feel like i just really need to break. Im looking into transferring now also, really just trying to make a decision.

Apr 18, 18 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
auninja91

a break can be cool, travel and do some freelance work :)

Apr 18, 18 4:31 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: