Archinect
anchor

Getting into a B.Arch program in Canada

harry20021010

Hi, I'm a student currently in grade 10 that is interested in pursuing a degree in Architecture. I have a couple questions regarding things I should watch out for and looking for some advice.

I'm looking to go to university in Canada

• What would the Architecture program consist of coursework and assignments wise?
  • I am fairly strong in Math, Science and Art but am lackluster in ELA and Social Studies. Is this something I should worry about and how will this affect my chances of getting into the program (B.Arch)?
  • What is the difference between Architecture and Landscape Architecture? 
  • What do I need to get a Masters in Architecture? 

Thanks for your time and I appreciate any insight you have. 

Apr 15, 18 12:17 pm
Non Sequitur

there are no B.Arch degrees in canada, only accredited M.arch.  I believe there are 10 universities which offer architecture related bachelor degrees in architectural science/study and each is different from the other... not to mention far away (hint canada is wide).

To answer your questions:

1. Architecture undergrad is very demanding and could easily run 80+ hours of coursework per week, consistently, for many months in a row.  Depending on the quality of university (Waterloo at the top end, UofT on the bottom), you'll get a mix of creative design studios, technical building science courses, physics, and professional practice.
  2. You'll need reasonably strong writing and presentation skills as you'll be required to speak convincingly about your work in front of an audience.
  3. Architecture is about buildings and design, landscape can, but is primarily concerned with the settings around (ie. plants) or urban hardscape.  
  4. You'll need a M.arch to become an intern and log hours towards licensing in Canada.  To get into a M.Arch, you'll need reasonably strong grades, a top notch portfolio, and good time management.
Apr 15, 18 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
harry20021010

Thanks for the reply

Apr 15, 18 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
harry20021010

I have one more question though, do you think finding a job after obtaining a M.Arch degree will become more difficult over the next couple of years?

Apr 15, 18 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Not sure how to answer that one. You don't need an M.arch to work in an office, however, you need one to eventually write your exams for licensure. Most offices look for M.arch people as BAS folks tend to leave after a few years to go back to school.

Apr 15, 18 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
harry20021010

Ok thanks for your help

Apr 15, 18 6:22 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

don't think about job options just yet... you have 8years or so until you hit that point. First, try and figure out if you really love the idea of designing buildings... and not just the broad design stroke romantic aspect, but all phases of constructions. Then go to the nearest architecture school during its open house.

Apr 15, 18 7:13 pm  · 
 · 
Zil P

Hi, I'm currently in grade 12 and am looking to apply to a university in Canada. But none of the universities have a B Arch degree. What is the equivalent degree for bachelors in architecture? Also, what is the duration of an M Arch degree? Thanks.

Jun 13, 19 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

The Barch was discontinued a long time ago in Canada. Now the path is a B.A.S (4y architectural studies) + an accredited M.Arch. The length of the M.arch (2y vs 3y) depends on the quality of your undergrad degree. Just note that some M.arch programs are open to applicants with non-design, non-architecture undergrad degrees. So, in all, you're looking at 6 to 8y for both degrees. 5y if you're very lucky and exceptionally smart.

Jun 13, 19 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
Zil P

Thank you so much.

Jun 16, 19 1:30 pm  · 
rishitsanchaniya

Can we be considered architect after having bachelor in architectural studies/science?

Oct 25, 19 11:36 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

No. Read the discussion above.

Oct 26, 19 7:44 am  · 
 · 
armandaredia

In Architecture field , are we able to construct buildings or we have to do civil engineering for that?

Jul 3, 20 1:15 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

If you want to construct buildings, you'll have to get a job at a construction company. Design and construction are not the same thing (and language matters).

Jul 3, 20 11:59 am  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

swinging a hammer 1.0 is an important class, so make sure it's on the curriculum but the most important one is the 7-part studios on standing around in a group of 5 while one poor sap digs a hole.

Jul 3, 20 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
ghazalakhavan

What is the difference between Architectural science and Architectural studies? 

Oct 13, 21 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

depends... since undergrad degrees are not accredited in Canada, universities tend to call their bachelor degrees either arch studies or arch science based on how much (or lack of) integration there is with building technology. There is unfortunately no standard for this naming convention... case in point UofT and Loo both label their undergrad programs as arch studies even though each program could not be further from each other in terms of arch science (and academic quality too, but that's another topic).

You'll also find many community colleges using the term arch science for their technologist degrees/diplomas.  These are often different than university courses in similar sounding categories.  

Oct 13, 21 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
jsyj

The best approach to pursuing architecture as an undergrad in Canada is to check out each of the schools websites for information sessions. While the B.Arch as a professional degree is no longer offered at Canadian institutions, most of the universities that have MArch programs have an undergraduate track that can help prepare you for application into their program or reduce the amount of time needed to complete the professional degree.

As mentioned above the quality of the undergrad options vary as does their focus and time commitment. You can find the list of Canadian architecture program holding schools here. https://study-architecture.ca/...

There are 12 accredited schools, 2 of which are taught in French and one that focuses on Indigenous ways of knowing as a framework for design. The schools are very different at the Masters level in terms of their focus, so it is worth going to as many info sessions as possible. I am not unbiased as I teach at one of these institutions, so I won't comment on which are better. Suffice to say there is a lot of variation in a good way. Also remember that you can always change schools upon completion of the undergrad program.

Oct 14, 21 3:17 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: