Archinect
anchor

Laminated Glued Timber structure, Help.

darkryst

Good morning/afternoon. 

am here to seek help again, amreally bad at structures & more when it comes to complicated things, am a student & i need to make a laminated glued structure but in a really weird way :c .

I want to know how to sectionate the beams of wood & stuff, so i'll let this image explains everything, if anyone can help please do so.  

Thanks ^^'.

Apr 14, 18 12:16 pm
darkryst

it'll rest above another structure (probably metal poles) its a little complicated to explain. am not too good at english sorry ^^'. & there will be glass panels (its going to be the roof of my project somehow). 

Apr 14, 18 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Darkryst, you're showing question marks at the angles--there are formulas that would tell you angles they are, but the easiest thing to do it to draw them in CAD and measure the angle. 

Or are you asking how to build angles like those, or are you considering adding struts or gussets to reinforce the connections? I know english is not your first language, but it's not clear what you need help with. 

Apr 14, 18 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
darkryst

yea am talking about addings struts or gussets to reinforce the connections. i already have the angles, i just want to understand in general cases, for ex if i have L = 20m  alpha angle = 60°  & beta angle = 75° for ex, what should i add, how can i reinforce the structure. how can i know the dimensions of the beams how will i link those beams.. etcs knowing that its going to be a glued laminated structure.

am sorry for the miss understands. if u have any documentation i can check & learn from it would be cool. thanks a lot for replying & taking some from your time.

Apr 14, 18 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
Schoon

I'm also not sure what you're asking for.  Are you trying to size your beams and connections or are you just looking for typical construction details?  

If you're trying to size the members and design the connections, you'll need to know the loads acting on your structure, then determine the internal forces caused by those loads.  You say you're not good at structures, and unfortunately you have quite a complicated shape.  If you have access to a computer lab with structural analysis software, I'd recommend learning SAP2000 with tutorials on youtube and using that to find your forces.  If you aren't able to use software, I recommend reading chapter 11 of R.C. Hibbler's book "Structural Analysis eighth edition" but be ready for a challenge.

If you're looking for construction details, just google "glued laminated timber frame"

Apr 14, 18 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Yes you can use gussets or struts or fatten up the portals in the bends. There's no right answer, just pick one and do the maths.

Apr 14, 18 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
darkryst

Am not searching for a exact sizing, just a small deduction with some sort of coefficients if possible? & yeah i want more construction details how the beams are linked together what gussets reinforcements are needed ? etc etc. I'm not going for a detailed calculations, its just a structural concept that am trying to work on. i'll check that chapter of hibblers book. thanks a lot for your replies.

so again to make it clear :

- i want details of construction, how to link beams together & how to link with the other frames (knowing that its gonna make a sort of greenhouse if u know what i mean) 

- a deduction of the size of beams (its dimensions).

Thanks a lot again.

Apr 14, 18 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
cornellbox

Here's an image from an old project back when it was under construction that might give you some ideas/inspiration.  

Apr 16, 18 11:28 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

http://www.martinhurtado.cl/?p...

Apr 16, 18 12:28 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: