Archinect
anchor

Alternatives to GP / Koch Industries

Living in Gin

My project is at the point where we're starting to put together a spec, and I'd like to make an effort not to line the pockets of the Koch brothers by specifying Georgia Pacific products, which is one of their companies.

For exterior sheathing, we've been using GP's Densglass Gold as a basis of design. What are some comparable products at a similar price point that we could spec instead? (FWIW, it's a metal rainscreen cladding system on metal studs, in the Pacific Northwest.) Extra points if the product is less toxic / more sustainable than Densglass.

Thanks in advance...

Apr 10, 18 2:20 pm
senjohnblutarsky

I have an old National Gypsum Product Comparison Guide that says the following products are equal to Densglass:

National Gypsum eXP

USG Securock

Certainteed GlasRoc Sheathing

Continental Building Products Weather Defense Platinum

American Gypsum M-Glass Sheathing

Pabco Pabco Glass

Personally, I think this isn't worth your effort. Contractor is just going to show up with what's cheapest, regardless of which specific product you spec.  And unless you're sole sourcing, you're not going to have much to fight it with. 

Apr 10, 18 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

Aren't your specs going to have "or approved equal" language? On what basis do you think you can ethically turn down a product of equal quality based on nothing but your own personal political pique?

Apr 10, 18 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

http://www.continental-bp.com/...

A similar guide from Continental

Apr 10, 18 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
CertainTeed is our default exterior sheathing spec... as noted above, the GC won’t care about ethics. You’ll need a strong performance requirement to make a direct product specification (or exclusion).
Apr 10, 18 5:20 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: