Archinect
anchor

Complexity of Thesis Proposal

emiljames

hi, im an architecture student and on my final year. my adviser told me that the complexity of my proposal is low and it needs additional buildings to make it complex.  i am having a difficulty in looking for additional buildings for my thesis proposal. any suggestions? btw, my proposal is Multi-modal Transit terminal with trade center. 

Note. i cant include a commercial complex and hotel because my site is adjacent to a mall and hotel. Thanks.

Apr 5, 18 11:00 am
x-jla

how about a library so that kids like you can do your own research?

Apr 5, 18 11:11 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

comment of the week right here.

Apr 5, 18 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
SpontaneousCombustion

I don't understand these posts where people say "my thesis is a transportation hub" or whatever.  That's a building type, not a thesis.  A thesis project is supposed to pose some question, with a hypothesis, and then set about supporting or disproving the hypothesis.  Most of the  thesis projects mentioned in this type of thread would be rejected as proposals at most respectable architecture schools.

Apr 5, 18 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
thatsthat

Agreed. Yes.

Apr 6, 18 11:13 am  · 
 · 

Get over it, many schools erroneously call a final project or a capstone project a thesis, these students are just using the terminology their schools use which has more to do with some bureaucratic Jedi magic than anything that makes any sense.

Apr 6, 18 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Jedi Magic? Now that's a good way to add complexity to a project.

Apr 6, 18 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

At schools where students apply to do a thesis project, and not all proposals are accepted, the projects are more often required to be of the type that Spontaneous is expecting. Applications for projects that don't have a focused question or problem to solve usually get rejected, or the applicant sent "back to the drawing board" for a better proposal. Those schools typically choose some students to do a thesis project, and for the ones with failed proposals or who didn't apply they just put them in regular semester-long directed studios.

At schools where every senior projects is referred to as a thesis project, and all it means is a year-long or semester-long big project, I'd agree that the word "thesis" is mis-used. If all the OP's advisor wants in terms of complexity is more buildings, that doesn't sound like a great adviser or project. As for more building types: conference center; arts education complex; municipal offices; library; transient housing; co-working space; ice arena; car wash. There, is that enough complexity?

Apr 6, 18 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

your thesis is not a thesis, it's a end of term project.  Approach it that way and you'll see how easier these questions can be answered.

Apr 5, 18 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
tuna

i think everyone in here can agree that you shouldn't be doing a thesis if you fail to grasp the concept of a thesis proposal. 

Apr 5, 18 9:03 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

I have always found the idea of an undergrad "thesis" crazy.  Don't be too quick to blame the OP, I doubt the school has done much to prepare him or her to do original research.

I don't think a small final project is bad, it can be an opportunity to more fully develop and detail a design versus the person who tries to design 4 million square feet of space for their final and barely scratches the surface of anything by the end of the term.

In my opinion, a final undergrad project should be a set of CDs and a project manual.  If you can't do that, you shouldn't be let out into the job market.

Apr 6, 18 10:31 am  · 
 · 
tduds

Maybe design two multi-modal transit terminals?

Apr 6, 18 11:40 am  · 
 · 

Consider adding housing and conforming your whole project to the typical transit oriented development zoning in your city.  The challenge you will run into (and the complexity your faculty might bee seeking) is the difficulty fitting small affordable housing (900 sf for a one bedroom, 100 sf for each additional bedroom) layouts within a structural grid that is optimal of office development typically located below the housing.  also important is the new levels of complexity of the vertical circulation as each type of use would ideally have their own lobby and elevators and street presence.  Sounds like a fun project, what modes of transit are you serving?

Over and OUT

Peter N

Apr 6, 18 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

sounds like the prof. doesn't know what a thesis is either... school sucks...add a brothel with your professor's image in the lobby. 

Apr 6, 18 2:31 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: