Archinect
anchor

In need of some honest answers from actual architects

chlosherm

So I’m currently a highschool junior and I’ve just started touring colleges in Virginia that offer architecture. That would just be University of Virginia and Virginia Tech as I’m looking to go to a school that is reputable in the architecture field. I’m also touring Syracuse in the summer. I guess my question here would be, how important is it for me to go to a “reputable” university in terms of landing a job after college? 

Apr 4, 18 11:26 am

3 Featured Comments

All 7 Comments

randomised

It isn't important at all, that's what those so-called reputable universities have you believe to justify their ballooning tuition fees.

Apr 4, 18 11:41 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Absolutely not important.  Sure, shiny school reps and some alumni will say otherwise, but what matters are the skills you develop while in school.  No arch degree is worth the money most folks dish out, so take tuition and location into consideration more than the name of the degree... and also if it's an accredited degree.

Apr 4, 18 11:51 am  · 
 · 
archi_dude

You should also realize an architecture degree is an ART degree on par with an English degree, painting ect. You will not learn anything of value to getting an actual job and will emerge a drafter and remain a drafter for 10+ years. I would recommend an engineering degree with architecture side classes if so inclined. Buildings NEED to stand up they don’t need to look pretty. Your skills will be compensated accordingly to that reality.

Apr 4, 18 12:05 pm  · 
 · 

That is great advice if you don't want to design buildings but instead you want to engineer someones design.

Apr 4, 18 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
archi_dude

It is great advice if you are looking for a career.

Apr 4, 18 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
joseffischer

10+ years experience in architecture... paid the same as the fresh electrical engineering graduate who's in charge of dropping lights in the ceiling grid and clicking the button to connect them to a circuit in revit.

Apr 4, 18 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
Featured Comment
thisisnotmyname

Its lees about where you go to school, and more about what you do when you get there.  Find a university where you can get some meaningful work experience in both building things and working in an architect's office.  See what real architects do, and then build a set of skills that make you useful for an entry-level position.

For what its worth, the two schools you mention have pretty good reputations and alumni networks that can lead to jobs after graduation.

Some of the most incompetent architects I know have Ivy League degrees.

Apr 4, 18 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
chlosherm

This is really good to hear. Financially it looks like staying in state is my best bet so I’m elated to hear that my options are good ones and more happy to hear that it’s way more about the portfolio I produce than the school I attend.

Apr 4, 18 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
Featured Comment
username_af

Since you're a junior, you still have some time to do your research so do not worry at all. I made the switch from a fancy shmancy architecture school to one that is a bit more of an underdog and it was the best thing I've ever done!!

I would say look for the following things to make YOUR experience and hence your chances of getting a job better:

• Studio spaces: you'll be spending a LOT of time at studio, so make sure the school you're going to has an awesome architecture department. It's also where you'll be spending lots of late nights with awesome classmates so it's 'more' than just a building or a space.
  • Avoid schools that place a heavy focus on theory and opt for ones that are a bit more technical. Some architecture schools are more like art history classes where you spend an entire year learning about famous architects than you do the actual craft. Architecture is about making - so make sure the school makes you make (hehe)
  • Ask! In applying for my master's degree, I approached current and graduated students from the schools I was most interested in to get their real life feedback - got lots of interesting and useful feedback!
Apr 4, 18 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
chlosherm

Thank you so much this response was really so helpful to me

Apr 4, 18 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
Featured Comment

In the US you have two paths to go for obtaining your architectural registration in terms of the education requirement. You can do a (typically) 5 year bachelors or you can do a BS in Architecture (4 years) and a masters of architecture (2 years)

The benefits:

the 5 year route is shorter and has the potential to cost less

the 4 year route offers you a chance to get into a more prestigious school for the masters program and or to go to a different school to get a different perspective in your education.  The 4 +2 year route also might give you a larger network of alumni if you go to two different schools. The 4+2 also offers a less constricted undergraduate curriculum so if you decide to change majors in year 2 you are probably not going to have a bunch of wasted credits. that wont transfer or count towards another degree program.

As for the Ivy League schools it is less important for your undergraduate degree than a graduate degree. and it has minimal advantages, apply see if you get a scholarship and if you do get a scholarship then it might be worth it.

This is an exciting time for you, but also don't think you need to rush into a decision right away. Working in construction for a year can help inform your decisions and will save you money if you have to borrow less. It also is possible that your eligibility for financial aide will be based on your income not your parents if you work before going to collage.

Good luck

Peter N

Apr 4, 18 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
chlosherm

Thank you so much for shedding some light on all the degree stuff, that has to be the most confusing part for me.

Apr 4, 18 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
allumers

everything everyone else has said is very true, i just wanna add that the UVA alumni network is really great 

Apr 4, 18 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
thatsthat

I'll second this.

Apr 4, 18 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
chlosherm

UVA is the only school I have toured so far, but I have to say it was impressive overall. Their studio spaces were gorgeous and the staff all seemed very professional and passionate about their work. It doesn’t surprise me that they excell in alumni networking and the like.

Apr 4, 18 4:29 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: