Archinect
anchor

M. Arch Canada

parti1

Looking for opinions, what would you recommend for architecture in combination with set design exposure. Have been accepted to Ryerson, Calgary, Carlton, and Waterloo. Anything helps! 

Apr 2, 18 1:50 pm
randomised

I'd recommend the University of British Columbia!

Apr 2, 18 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
parti1

i wish...

Apr 2, 18 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Waterloo by a metric tonne.

Everything else is 3rd tier.

Edit: Cambridge (town) sucks balls thou... so keep that in mind.  But you get the best arch programme in Canada.  Pick your battles.

Apr 2, 18 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
parti1

How much does the top school on resume matter though....in reality. Especially since set design is the end goal.

Apr 13, 18 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

The quality of work you're pushed to produce will count more than the name. Better schools = better protfolios = better options when job hunting

Apr 13, 18 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
Arkeciel

Depends on what you want out of your education. 

If you want to learn the traditional architecture program, Waterloo beats other schools hands down. 

However, if you want to be exposed to set design and want to approach architecture from artistic POV, go with Carleton. My co-worker actually did her thesis on "Alice in Wonderland"-inspired set design. A graduate from Carleton also won a BAFTA award for his set design in "The Shape of Water" movie (https://carleton.ca/our-storie...)

Apr 4, 18 12:15 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Nice story and I did not know this particular Alumni. Note that the school is drastically different today than it was back in the 80s. I was there for 5 years (2002-2007) and even in that short span, I saw the quality and direction take several questionable turns.

Apr 4, 18 10:26 am  · 
 · 
parti1

Thats really interesting. I definitely feel carlton provides the best resources towards my goal, however Ottawa the city is soo uninspiring and far. In all i am leaning towards Ryerson....

Apr 13, 18 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Ottawa > Toronto. Construction is ramping up hard here and you can hop over to Montreal anytime without the disadvantage of living in Quebec.

Apr 13, 18 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
auninja91

where do you guys think UofT would fall on this spectrum?

also no mention to dalhousie or mcgill?

Apr 13, 18 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

UofT is not on this spectrum. McGill is second best (behind waterloo) in Canada. Dal is niche, I've not seen any of their graduates in my area.

Apr 13, 18 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
threadkilla

Dal grads seem to all go to work in Calgary, where grads of other schools, even UofC EVDS have to compete with them for entry level jobs, which they seem to get into with ease due to Dal alumni being in project management positions and supporting the school's co-op program with 'placements'...

Apr 13, 18 3:54 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: