Archinect
anchor

Living in San Fran for CCA

ayags

Hi! I got my undergraduate in interiors at Drexel and am now trying to get my masters so I can teach full time (I currently teach at a community college). 

So I got in to CCA in San Fran and Portland State. Got waitlisted at UWash and still waiting to hear from UCL Bartlett. Would much prefer to go to either of these schools but I'm worried I won't get in to either (my GRE was very bad for Uwash) and UCL is out of my league I think. 

So I will probably end up at CCA. I'm concerned about the cost of living. I currently live in philadelphia and pay $725 a month working 2 full time jobs and I can barely afford my rent and living. How do you guys do it in San Fran?!?! Also, I was originally told I would get accelerated degree and get to take off 1 year of the 3year program but they only took off 1 class. I'm going to try to appeal for more but who knows... 3 years of my life and they only offered me 10k a year. (Uwash and Bartlett are only a year and a half for not a MArch which I honestly dont need). 

Any advice on living in san fran or anything else would be greatly appreciated! 

Mar 27, 18 8:48 pm
l3wis

I would try to connect with incoming classmates and share as much space with as many people as possible.

Mar 27, 18 9:19 pm  · 
 · 
ayags

thats a great idea thank you!

Mar 28, 18 9:48 am  · 
 · 
zonker

Yeah, you sure dont want to be pitchin a tent under I-80

Mar 27, 18 9:25 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

First off, dont call it San Fran (thats what tourists do). Secondly, you might get more space if you live in Oakland/Berkeley.

Mar 27, 18 9:25 pm  · 
 · 
Beepbeep

should of applied to Cornell they have an Interiors Masters and PHD and cost of living is modestly cheap...

SF is great it just cost 3600 a month for a 1 bed...and all those damn techie weirdos. 

However I do know some people who live w/ housemates and pay 700-1100 which is a good deal, and wages are quite a bit higher in SF.

Mar 27, 18 10:03 pm  · 
 · 
ayags

I mean if I wanted another useless Interiors degree dont you think I would have applied for one? I'm getting an arch degree bc they are obviously much more valued. Also what does ANYONE need a PHD is interiors for?

Mar 28, 18 9:46 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

why does anyone even need any degree in interiors?

Mar 28, 18 9:48 am  · 
 · 
ayags

alright chill -_- its not all residential decorating.... we do the exact same things architects do, just the interiors of the space.

Mar 28, 18 9:52 am  · 
 · 
Beepbeep

You said above you didn't need an M.arch "Uwash and Bartlett are only a year and a half for not a MArch which I honestly dont need" so I figured you would just be getting another useless Interiors degree...if its not an M.arch allowing a license they are all pretty useless.

Mar 28, 18 10:50 am  · 
 · 
Beepbeep

Pad mapper works well in the city to find apartments...and CL for roommate h unting. An option that a lot of people do not talk about is Daly City, Outer Sunset, and Outer Richmond you can find much better housing rates. I would avoid the Tenderloin and SOMA because they are filled with homeless...it is actually really sad. But you do feel like you are walking around among the zombies.

Mar 28, 18 10:54 am  · 
 · 
ayags

its MS Arch as I'm not trying to be registered architect but a professor, as stated in the OP. Thanks for the advice though

Mar 28, 18 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Hilarious. All that expense just to teach others about furniture procurement and fabric selection.

Mar 29, 18 7:35 am  · 
 · 
ayags

Clearly you have no idea what interiors does... If you've ever worked at a reputable firm you would know how vital interiors is to this industry. And just so you know I teach 3, yes that right 3, ARCHITECTURE courses without even a BArch. Please take your petty attitude elsewhere. Was just looking on some advice on living in an expensive city, not your biased opinion on my career.

Apr 2, 18 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
ayags

anyone in any housing groups for sf? i dont mind living with a lot of people if it keeps my rent down :) thanks yall

Mar 28, 18 9:49 am  · 
 · 
spiketwig

10 years ago, everyone lived in the Mission with many roommates. I think you can probably still swing that - try to get connected with existing students and you'll be able to find a spot. Would strongly recommend living within biking distance. You will spend a lot of time in studio, you don't want to be commuting on BART if you can help it (but people def. do it, so not impossible). Keep in mind the cost of BART fares if you go that route - it's not cheap. 

Mar 28, 18 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
ayags

Thats helpful thank you! I figured there has to be some affordable housing but when I looked on craigslist it was all like $1500+ for a room shared in a house with 3 people which is CRAZY.

Mar 28, 18 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Cohabiting in Berkeley can be cheaper, since it's a college town. In SF you're not likely to get cheaper than that without some luck .

Mar 29, 18 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

Buy a cheap van and live in it.  Shower in school.  Crash at classmates, in school when you need.

Mar 29, 18 7:06 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

This is real advice.

Mar 29, 18 7:36 am  · 
 · 
spiketwig

one guy did do this. it was a bit weird... seemed to work for him. There's a gym down the street, you can get a membership for the showers...

Mar 29, 18 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

I had a classmate do this with a mobile home during grad school, but that was in the rural midwest. I don't think I'd want to join the folks doing it on the back streets in SF.

Mar 29, 18 5:40 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: