Archinect
anchor

Scholarship Negotiations

atBlack

I received a $30,000/year scholarship from USC for the MArch 1 program. Has anyone had luck negotiating with schools with scholarship offers from other programs?

Mar 26, 18 1:37 pm
citizen

Will that cover all your tuition, fees, etc?

Mar 26, 18 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
atBlack

No, tuition is about $55,000/year with living expenses probably another $30,000/year.

I'm more looking to go to the other schools I was accepted to and try to negotiate scholarships with them.

Mar 26, 18 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

$55k per year? That's sickening and not a wise investment.

Mar 26, 18 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Sounds like psychological pricing ($0,99 = $1,00)

Mar 26, 18 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
l3wis

The schools obviously have a limited amount of aid they dispense. They keep some in reserve, but my impression is that if you wait too long to request more it will all be gone.

I don't know of anything you can say besides, I'm sorry, I'd really like to come and I'm very grateful for what you've awarded me, but I still can't afford the remaining tuition and cost of living. Is there any possibility of increasing the financial aid award?

I emailed my arch. financial aid office something along those lines a number of years and got a bump of a couple thousand I think? Nothing drastic but it adds up. You might get farther by talking on the phone but I'm not sure. Someone I knew tried to have a conversation in person but it was very awkward for them and I don't think it went well. Perhaps my school's office was really good this way; I can't promise you'll get good results with this strategy but it's my only advice.

Mar 26, 18 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
splinesbetweentheplace

Yes you can negotiate as long as you have received offers that cover more of a % of tuition from other schools that are as good or better than USC.

Send them proof in your request.

Do it via email, not over the phone.

Mar 26, 18 6:53 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: