Archinect
anchor

Help me chose - MLA

sheenamarora

Hi

I need help deciding this university / school I should go for ..

I have two options to do my masters degree in landscape architecture - 
1. RISD 
2. UMass, Amherst !

Please help me decide between the two with their pros and cons !
Highly appreciate
Thanks in advance !

P.s. I am an Indian student with bachelors in architecture !

Mar 24, 18 10:39 am

As has been mentioned many of time in other threads, this is a very important and personal process, why would you defer to an anonymous (often cynical) hive mind to make a decision to make like this? 

The two programs you are listing are very different. I would seriously suggest that you take the time to read faculty bios along with their program statements, curriculum sequences (does one favor one thing of interest more than another), etc. That's where you'll find the pros and cons that are in alignment with your interests.

And before you start to list your interest so we can help you decide- don't. It won't do any good.

Mar 24, 18 10:55 am  · 
 · 
sheenamarora

Hey Marc

Mar 24, 18 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
sheenamarora

I appreciate your point of view here and it’s totally makes sense to figure it out on my person interests etc but I am having bit of a trouble as both the courses are fulfilling my future purpose . Want to go by the market value also !

Mar 24, 18 12:14 pm  · 
 · 
Flatfish

Neither is particularly strong or well-respected for landscape architecture. If I were you I'd probably take this year to work in some related position, strengthen my portfolio, and try again next year to get into other programs.  If I had to choose between these two AND money were no impediment, then I'd choose RISD because institutionally it's one of the best design schools in the world, it has a lot to offer if you expand your circle outside of your degree program, and the degree has broader name recognition  - though it's also one of the most expensive design schools in the world so if your financial aid offer is lackluster it may not be worth it. 

Mar 24, 18 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines_

UMass Amherst is garbage !

RISD is not a strong landscape program !

You would know this if you had done your research before applying !

Why do so many Indian students post these lazy questions ? !

Mar 24, 18 2:52 pm  · 
 · 

not sure the sweeping generalizations are productive or appropriate.

And on another note: perhaps those are the only options for the op? Granted- they still need to think for themselves...

Mar 24, 18 7:56 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: