Archinect
anchor

Worth it OR not? GSAPP with no aid?

hoàngquangtuyên

I can't say this enough, but no!  No program is worth this.  Unless you can guarantee you will graduate with no debt.  Even at just $100k in debt, you think you'll graduate and be extra valuable to a firm because you went to GSAAP that they'll start you out at paying you $75k+ per year.  Not saying it can't happen, but it's not likely.  Most entry-level staff come out knowing next to nothing.  I have friends that did the 'I want the ivy name on my CV, so I'll pay for it all in loans' route... they are $275k+ in debt and will probably never pay it all off.  I personally have a ton of debt from school, and it can be pretty rough.  You get tired of living like a student, putting off major life events well into your late 20s/early 30s because you simply can't afford it.

Mar 21, 18 11:45 am
Non Sequitur

even at JUST $100k? No M.Arch is worth near that.

No, the debt is not worth the illusion sold by the schools.

Mar 21, 18 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

You can easily pay it all off if you start your own school and get people to pay you 100k or more for something as basic as a proper education.

Mar 21, 18 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Do you need a business partner? That's a great idea.

Mar 21, 18 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Isn't that how SCi-Arc started? I'd have to relocate for that kind of business, because no one over here would pay that kind of dough, rightfully so...

Mar 21, 18 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Didn't we do this thread already?

Mar 21, 18 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

thrice daily it seems.

Mar 21, 18 1:38 pm  · 
 · 

yes and no, the previous thread was about going to a state school and reapplying to the Ivy school of choice in the next application cycle.

Mar 21, 18 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
thatsthat

Yes. This was originally my post on the other thread and the OP copy and pasted it into a new thread.  https://archinect.com/forum/th... 

I flagged it, but nothing happened.

Mar 21, 18 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Ah well, that's that...

Mar 21, 18 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
nishizawa

Totally not worth it.

Apr 1, 18 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

Too easy to think its worth it with government or bank loans available so easily.  It surely clouds one's reasoning.  I'd say go work in an architecture firm for a few years until you save up 100k, and then go for grad school if you still feel the urge.  Architecture is not a profession where having a grad degree from an IVY league or any school for that matter will increase your pay so much that spending 100k is worth it. :D 

Apr 1, 18 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

Great post. But, in the end there will be more architectural dreamers who are sucked in by the ease of cheap credit and the siren song of "follow your dream".  By the time they figure out what a major fuckup they have committed, it will be too late and they will be posting threads about "what else can I do with an architecture education?".

Apr 1, 18 7:23 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

NO, it is just NOT WORTH IT. I know someone at work with a GSD degree, and is relegated to doing small time interiors in the office.

Apr 1, 18 10:09 pm  · 
 · 
ae_0

Is any degree worth $100 k? - No.

Apr 1, 18 10:30 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: