Archinect
anchor

Schulich MBA ( Canada ) or Cornell Masters in Real Estate

Salwan

Hi all,

I am an Architect from India I have work ex of 4+ years. I recently got admitted to Cornell University Masters in Real Estate program (MPS RE) which is a two year program includes internship and also got admitted to Schulich School of business (York University) in Canada Toronto in Master in Business Administration (MBA) which is again a two year course includes internship and has a concentration in Real Estate in second year.

I want to work post my graduation and settle there and then. Looking at my Architectural background, Post graduation employment opportunities and visa scenario in both the places which course/university i should choose.? Which is a better program in terms of my architectural background?

What is the Job scenario in the USA post graduation from an ivy league college? Which is a better place to live?

Kindly help me with your inputs as I need to finalise urgently.

Thanks in advance!!

Mar 20, 18 3:48 pm
Non Sequitur

Job situation? The name of that expensive piece of paper only goes so far.  It's what you get out of the education that matters and gets you employed.  

BTW, an MBA will not allow you to practice as an architect in Canada as you'll most certainly need a M.Arch.

Any other adult decisions you need help with?

Mar 20, 18 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
Salwan

When did I even mention I want to practice Architecture after an MBA? Main reason for doing an MBA or a Masters in Real estate is to not practice Architecture.

Mar 21, 18 2:46 am  · 
 · 
Salwan

I want to get into the Real estate side of Architecture business so just confused as to which university would be more beneficial in terms of Post MS employement and Visa and help me pay my debts.

Mar 21, 18 2:48 am  · 
 · 
accesskb

Ain't going to help you become an architect with that but might have more knowledge in the real estate development sector.  You're burning money either ways.  Cornell probably costs an arm and a let, more because you're an 'international' student. 

On the other hand, going to York.  You'll probably end up spending the same amount of money.  That school goes through strikes so often (currently on one again), I've even lost count xD 

Its only two years.  Do a coin toss.

Mar 20, 18 5:00 pm  · 
 · 

The graduate school and professional programs at Cornell operate under crazy models so it's hard to tell. You won't be (as) eligible for funding, but the tuition model is not the same as the endowed and contract colleges.

Mar 20, 18 11:32 pm  · 
 · 
Salwan

Thanks for responding. Anyway I just wanted a suggestion as to which university and course ( MBA or MPS ) would benefit me more in my future endeavours.  How difficult is the current job and visa scenario in both the places. What would you have chosen is what i wanted to know.

Mar 21, 18 3:09 am  · 
 · 

Easy answer for me , I didn't.

Mar 21, 18 9:25 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

I don't know much about the real estate program at Cornell but I know their architecture undergrad is very good.  They're one of the better schools in US.  I think York can be a sketchy school but Schulich is well known for their business programs.  Infact, I had a classmate who went and did the real estate MBA at York after his architecture undergrad.  He was mediocre at best when it came to architecture design but he was a good speaker, intelligent and shone in other aspects.  A fitting program for him.  Also, while I was attending undergrad, one of our adjunct professor was attending York for his MBA while teaching us.  In terms of work in the architectural field, there are plenty of jobs in Canada.  Its easy to find as long as you have half a brain.  Canada is a fairly new country with lots of immigrants coming in.  There will always be plenty to build and the need for new housing.  If you've been following the real estate market in major Canadian cities the past few years, I don't need to explain further.  

Mar 21, 18 7:24 pm  · 
 · 

In contrast, the RE program at Cornell is stretched across two colleges (sorta) and two schools (Hotel, Business) and one program (Planning, not Architecture), and I believe the Business school is the driver. The planning based faculty make sure you get out - New York by default and sponsored trip overseas.There was a shared studio that included Landscape Architects, Planners, Real Estate and some Architects, but that change with faculty departures. I'm not sure what they are doing now.

Mar 21, 18 9:32 pm  · 
 · 
mjjjj

I am looking into applying to school this year for RE as well. I live in NY but I am leaning towards York personally. I am Canadian and it's getting harder and harder to get a permanent visa to work in the states. I also think York is a bit cheaper and offers opportunities for internship. Although Toronto housing is tanking, RE industry outside of Toronto looks pretty bright. I'm sure Cornell has a higher percentage of architects in the program compared to York. Did you make the decision? Are you going into RE finance or development? 

Mar 28, 18 10:38 am  · 
 · 
accesskb

Recent York U strike still ongoing.. Over 2 months in now xD

May 7, 18 7:55 pm  · 
 · 
resipsa

Have you asked Cornell about their merit scholarships? Some departments will let you "apply" for one. I am not sure what the Baker program is but I know from experience that other graduate departments at Cornell are very generous even for international students. 

May 10, 18 9:42 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: