Archinect
anchor

University of Washington vs. University of Oregon - M Arch First Professional Degree

billyguarino

Hi All!

I will be deciding between UO and UW for my M Arch degree. Wondering if anyone had some insight on either of the two programs you have developed either through your own research or personal experience attending one of these programs. I have done extensive research on both programs online and visiting once each before. They are similar in a lot of ways, yet also quite a few unique differences. I will be visiting both open houses in a few weeks to help my decision. 

Thanks in advance! Best,

BG

Mar 18, 18 12:31 am
BIGBOY

Just wondering but could you share your extensive research and insight that you've learned thus far with these programs? It seems many of these threads are popping up and I think it'd be pretty useful to others now and in the future if people initially shared what they knew.

Mar 18, 18 2:27 am  · 
 · 
billyguarino

Yes good idea.

Mar 23, 18 5:44 pm  · 
 · 

UW 's setting is more urban "an interest in urban and environmental issues, concern for equity and social justice and a focus on history/theory, a culture of making (design build, furniture studio), and numerous study abroad options (locating Seattle within the broader global context)." Steve Badanes runs the design build. He was featured on "Citizen Architect" and started Jersey Devil Design-Build back in 1972 after graduating from Princeton. 

The department runs travel studios to Copenhagen, DK and works with world renowned architecture firms there. They also run a studio with Glenn Murcutt, Australian based world renowned architect, the students go there for a couple weeks. 

Faculty body seems to be really strong, a lot of which are practicing architects with notable work in Seattle and internationally. They have an internship program with lots of local firms including Perkins & Will, Olson Kundig, and Miller Hull, who all are active within the department as well from what I've found. 

Pulled from the website: "The curriculum emphasizes integrated architectural design, its relationship to urban issues and tectonics, and the technical knowledge necessary for the professional practice of architecture. Courses in architectural history and theory, building science, graphics, materials and making, design/build, and international studies provide further professional training and opportunities to develop areas of specialization. These areas of specialization are called Degree Options and provide M.Arch students with an opportunity to concentrate their studies in one of three areas:

History, Theory and Criticism
Materials and Fabrication
Sustainable Systems and Design"

I think the above portion that mentions tectonics is important to note. You can see well executed/interesting structure in the student work at times. The College of Built Environments is a cool brutalist building with a big model shop. Studios are kind of tight depending on which classroom you're in. They have a great photography lighting room to photograph your projects. Seattle is a great city, and the campus is gorgeous. 

UO on the other hand is a bit different. "In the next few years we[they] are investing in our[the] graduate programs in particular with new faculty hires related to both traditional modes of scholarship/research and related to design processes and media. We[they] are also at the beginning of a new structure that combines architecture, landscape architecture, and historic preservation in one school" (College of Design).

Travel options are abundant as well. They have one that goes to Vancouver, Canada for a summer and also a Barcelona studio which seems interesting. Camping and local field trips seem to be included in the curriculum as well. 

The 3 year track 1 students have many options for specializations and/or certificates. https://archenvironment.uorego...  which I think is great allowing students to pursue their own interests. Track 1 students can choose to spend their final year at their Portland campus to study urban design/architecture or historic preservation. Track 2 students can complete their entire 2 year degree there. Eugene is a great little city though basically set within a forest. 

I think Oregon has much more focus on sustainable architecture and systematic design which I think will benefit me with my background in Landscape Architecture. Also there are at least 4 professors currently there who are interested in the intersections of the two disciplines. 

Studios in Eugene are little better than the tight ones I saw at UW, half cubical type work stations, yet I'd recommend visiting yourself. I might have a different opinion after I visit again. 

Both public universities with PAC 12 football teams, both on quarter system, both have well respected Landscape Architecture programs to collaborate with, both in the PNW therefore tying students to that region of professionals.

I am visiting them both next week for the open houses. Hope this helps anyone also interested in these schools. It was also helpful for me to write this out to get a more clear understanding of the differences. 

Based on above mentioned information, I'd love to hear if anyone has opinions on what they think would be a better school and why.

Thank you!

-B

Mar 23, 18 7:21 pm  · 
 · 
Zclpppp

Yes, the small studio space of UW will be an issue.

Mar 12, 23 3:25 am  · 
 · 
BIGBOY

Fantastic stuff, you definitely did your research, this will surely help people searching for information on UW and UO.

Sounds like you're leaning toward UO and I would as well based on the information you provided. Sadly I don't know much about either program so I can't add anything beyond that opinion but I did hear from a few instructors at UCLA that architects working in the Pacific Northwest are some of the happiest and least-stressed in the nation so you probably can't go wrong.

Mar 26, 18 8:40 am  · 
 · 
rothko67

Another plus for UO is the GTF (Graduate Teaching Fellowships) that they offer, or at least used to offer.  They are slightly competitive to get, but allow you to have some of your tuition waived.  

Mar 26, 18 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
Archlandia
I live in Portland, UO isn’t as innovative as it was once considered. Full of old school white guys. The yesteryear of architecture. They only talk about John Yeon... I would choose UW if I were you.
Mar 26, 18 7:48 pm  · 
 · 
rothko67

mreed

Those are some extremely generalized comments.  Did you go to UofO?  There may be some "old school" white guys, but that would be a minority, and could be applied to anywhere.  

Mar 26, 18 8:12 pm  · 
 · 
Archlandia
Nope, I didn’t. And sure they are general, but also true. This is based on experiences I’ve had with alumni, professors and students. Also, based on work that I’ve seen come from that school for the last eight years. Cloepfil was the last great thing to happen to that school.

What’s your reason, other than being biased because you’re an alumni?
Mar 26, 18 8:20 pm  · 
 · 
rothko67

Yes, I did go there, but wouldn't say I'm biased in any way.  Just disagreeing with your generalized, secondhand comments.  

And, Cloepfil doesn't work alone.  Many of the key design staff at Alliedworks also went to Oregon.  

Frankly, it doesn't really matter all that much where you study, it's what you make of it, and take away from it.  

Mar 26, 18 8:49 pm  · 
 · 
Archlandia
I could, and can, tell that you attended by your pretentiousness...called it. Also, the only thing that’s secondhand around here is your opinion of a school that you attended 20+ years ago.

Your disagreement was, “Did you go to UofO?”, so typical. Then after trying to call me out for making generalized comments, you made a generalized comment about how the idea of old white guys running the show could be applied anywhere..wrong! If you’ve woken up from your nap in the last 10 years, you would see that many schools aren’t lead that way anymore.

- OP like I said, they’re living in the past.
Mar 26, 18 9:14 pm  · 
 · 
rothko67

mreed 

First of all, there is nothing pretentious about UO.  And, I’m sensing you’re annoyed that I simply called you out on the fact that your blanket comments were not based on personal experience, but on hearsay.  

I had a great time at Oregon, and while it doesn’t have the cache of an Ivy League school, or a SciArc, it offers a solid, well rounded technical and design oriented program.  Many of the tenured faculty (both past and present), are leaders in their respective fields, and in many cases have written the book on many subjects that almost all other schools use in their curriculum.  The adjunct instructors, and visiting professors when I was there were very inspiring practicing architects from Eugene, and Portland (even from your beloved Alliedworks), and I assume are still some of the same ones teaching today.  

For the past 6 years, I have been a invited to “crit” some studio final reviews, and there is nothing remotely “stale” or about the level of design, technology, and ideas that I have seen.  Some students are better than others, and admittedly some of the students that chose Oregon for their sustainability focus don’t excel aesthetically, but overall, I’ve been nothing but impressed.  

Mar 26, 18 10:58 pm  · 
 · 
billyguarino

Yea not sure "old white guys" really means anything. In fact three of the professors that have drawn me there so far are middle aged successful female architects doing really cool work, including one who teaches a parametric design media class using complex geometries. #womeninarchtiecture

I really do think it is what you make of it.  Rothko I specifically enjoyed hearing about the student work. Thanks for chiming in.

Mar 27, 18 1:42 am  · 
 · 
rothko67

No problem, Billy.  

As I mentioned earlier one aspect you may not have considered is the Graduate Teaching fellowships.  The architecture school has quite a lot of opportunities for grad students.  The amount of commitment varies, but you do get paid, tuition waiver, and health insurance options.  Not sure UW has the same, but here’s some info for Oregon: https://gradschool.uoregon.edu/gtf/salary-benefits#tuition

Mar 27, 18 2:00 am  · 
 · 
billyguarino

Cool I'll check it out. Yea I think you're right there

Mar 27, 18 2:02 am  · 
 · 
billyguarino

One thing to add which I've noticed about UW is they push for high level of craft and very much about the process of making which is enticing. Also the admittance rate is lower there, not really sure if that matters too much for my decision though. 

Mar 27, 18 2:00 am  · 
 · 
rothko67

I would say Oregon is similar in terms of craft.  Some studios will have more focus on details than others.  The furniture studio is highly competitive to get into, but is very popular.  And, since I graduated, the school now has an industrial design program.  I’m not sure how much cross pollination there between the arch program, and Industrial design, but if that interests you, you may want to ask when you visit.  

Cost of living wise, Eugene would be more affordable, and a smaller town vibe.  But, now that the Portland program has a permanent home, that would be a great place to study too.  

Mar 27, 18 2:28 am  · 
 · 
FC27

Billy-

Did you end up making a decision? I've been deciding between the two schools as well and have ended up going with UO partially due to their investment in mass timber research, and the opportunities for GTF positions as well as graduate research positions. 

I'm also out-of-state for both schools and it looked like UW was slightly more expensive and obviously the cost of living in Seattle is much, much higher than Eugene. 

Apr 4, 18 11:56 am  · 
 · 
billyguarino

Hi, Yes I just got back from Oregon and I have accepted the admission! I will be a track 1 starting in June. I was blown away with all of the research sectors they have in Lawrence hall all focused on sustainability and innovation. This school is way ahead of the curve when it comes to systems thinking and architectural design. Many encouraged opportunities for student research, and all of the faculty have their own research interests that align pretty well with mine.

Apr 10, 18 11:29 pm  · 
 · 
billyguarino

I would reach out to Judith Sheine on your interest in Mass Timber, she is teaching studios on it.

Apr 10, 18 11:31 pm  · 
 · 
billyguarino

UW has a great program as well, it just didn't align with my interests as much, location had a bit to do with that. Their focus on History and Theory and Craft is strong. They have a studio taught on Utilitarian Architecture which is focused on the reuse of industrial, single-use type infrastructure which seemed pretty interesting. Also the school has amazing ties to the professional community in Seattle, for instance you get a guaranteed paid internship after your first year as a 3-year student. 

Apr 10, 18 11:37 pm  · 
 · 
billyguarino

** paid internship for the summer**

Apr 10, 18 11:40 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: