Archinect
anchor

Is getting a Masters in Interior Architecture better than going back for a bachelors in Interior Design?

danielmartinez

Hello,

I was accepted to SAIC in Chicago for the Masters in Interior Architecture. I am trying to figure out if I should go there or just go back and do a second bachelors in Interior Design. I am somewhat familiar with the difference. What I want to know is when I graduate with that degree would that program, being heavily focused in architecture and not just interior design, be beneficial or even give me a leg up in the industry? Or would the experience be just as good in doing a bachelors in interior design? I am not only interested in decorative finishes and such I am very much interested in the actual building and construction of spaces but love the decorative aspect of design as well. I'm just a little torn and was wondering if anyone had any experience with this program and if its better to do interior architecture than just interior design. 

Thanks!!

Mar 16, 18 5:46 pm
archinine
Just study architecture. If you want to do interiors then you’re more than covered with the arch degree. You’ll hit a glass ceiling with an interiors degree. Also do not be fooled by the schools marketing. If it isn’t a b.arch or m.arch it isn’t an accredited architecture degree. ‘Interior’ blah blah is still a decorators degree.

Also many schools won’t allow you to do a second bachelors. A lot of the degree would be repetitive general curriculum coursework, not to mention the additional year or two wasted being out of the work force.
Mar 16, 18 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
danielmartinez

Thanks for the comment!!! But now I’m a little confused. You’re saying that if I study interior architecture and graduate as an interior designer and get eventually get licensed I still be a decorator cause i did not get a b.arch or m.arch?

Mar 16, 18 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
danielmartinez

sorry for the typos I’m on a bus and typing fast lol 

Mar 16, 18 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

I would recommend you get SAIC's "Master of Architecture with an emphasis in interior architecture".  It is NAAB-accredited, meaning you can get an architecture license and/or an interior designer in the future.

A second bachelors degree in interior design would limit you to only getting an interior designer license, which could limit your income and advancement potential.

Mar 16, 18 6:41 pm  · 
 · 
danielmartinez

wow thanks for the info!!! 

Mar 16, 18 7:05 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: