Archinect
anchor

Michigan/Wash U/UT Austin?

PreResultJitters

Michigan - I heard that right now there is a lot of digital fabrication and form making taking precedence over actual space making in teh school. Is that true? 

Wash U - how good is this program when compared to the other two? I heard that a a lot of studios are based on the St.Louis city itself. 

UT Austin - I read somewhere that this college is still in the 1950s and hasn't made any advancement. I have also heard conflicting good reviews about the material labs and design thinking.But someone advised me that if I want to get into firms on the east and west coast the networking is not that great. Is that true? 

Mar 12, 18 10:07 pm
PreResultJitters

This is My.Arch II! 

Mar 12, 18 10:08 pm  · 
 · 
PreResultJitters

I mean for M.Arch 2.

Mar 12, 18 10:09 pm  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines__

i'll never understand why applicants don't sort these things out before they apply. how did you even choose these schools if you knew so little about the programs? 

that said, the only one of these worth attending for an m.arch II is Michigan, but if you're resistant to fabrication I can't really see the appeal. the profound influence of former dean Monica Ponce de León (previously half of office dA, now the dean at Princeton) in that regard will likely persist for years if not decades.

Wash. U. has a decent undergraduate program and a pretty lackluster M.Arch I. i've never heard of anyone doing an M.Arch II there; it's certainly not a research or theory powerhouse.

UT Austin has an excellent undergraduate program and a somewhat better M.Arch I than Wash. U. again, hard to imagine what they could possibly have to offer an M.Arch II student. 

what do you want to get out of this degree? were these all backup school in case GSD, Yale, Rice, and Berkeley didn't work out? your reasoning for selecting these schools is mystifying, especially at the M.Arch II level (since it is an entirely elective academic degree, and you need to already have a professional degree to apply, there is an expectation that you'll have a reasonably good idea of what you want to do with your time there).

Mar 12, 18 11:48 pm  · 
 · 
Laurila

The faculty is so diverse at Michigan, that's its hard to qualify the school as being concerned with one thing or another. Are there a lot of professors preoccupied with form making? Sure. But that's also a lot of schools. It's easy to deride form making, but I think a lot of the professors, especially the younger ones, are tackling image culture in architecture and that comes off as just "form." 

There are just as many professors who prioritize other facets of the discipline. Anya Sirota privileges social implications and spatiality more than form. As does El Hadi Jazairy. 

Mar 21, 18 2:22 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: