Archinect
anchor

School of the Art Institute of Chicago

adampitt95

Hi everyone,

I wanted to ask if anyone had any insights about the School of the Art Institute's M.Arch program. I've searched, but there aren't any comments that are all that recently so I wanted to ask again now that the program has had time to mature.

I graduated from the University of Chicago with a degree in Math and Art History last year, and have been working to save up money since. I have known I've wanted to apply for an M.Arch for a few years now. I have no formal art training whatsoever beyond theater work and a single introductory architecture studio taught at UChicago in conjunction with IIT. 

Out of all my applications, I've been accepted to SAIC, waitlisted at UVA, and either rejected or received nothing from schools that I know have sent acceptances, so I'm coming to terms with more than likely going to SAIC, if I'm to go at all. Does anyone have any insight about how the program, such as in terms of preparation for employment? Or just in general? I know it being "too theoretical" has been a concern in the past.

Mar 8, 18 11:59 pm
drinks_at_avec

Goto UVa, the Art Institute is a lightweight program by comparison. Look at the national rankings. Theoretical infers comprehension and it ain't there. UVa has a great idea to offer by comparison and the faculty is pretty amazing... UVa has an integrated program that offers solid fundamentals in sustainability and landscape architecture. I suggest IIT's program if you wish to stay in Chicago as it has a great diversity of viewpoints and approaches. 

Mar 9, 18 12:45 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

UVA is much much better than SAIC.

IIT and UIC are both ok schools in Chicago. SAIC is... Not good. Not at all focused on technical knowledge or developing working conceptual schemes, but rather some frothy mixture of politics, race, and obscure theory on architecture combined into mediocre student projects. I would NEVER hire someone from there if there was an IIT student (or really anyone else) available and portfolio/ personality were equivalent.

I suggest you wait a year, do some arch competitions and some independent projects to improve your portfolio, and re-apply. Try schools like UVA, Rice, Ball State, KU, Michigan, etc...

Mar 9, 18 8:17 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: