Archinect
anchor

STEM M.Arch degrees

ritajohn

Hi folks,

I was wondering if anyone knew whether the professional M.Arch programs are STEM degrees as of this year(2018) in the following universities:

- UC Berkeley, College of Environmental Design

- Princeton university, School of Architecture

- MIT, School of Architectue+Planning

The reason I am asking is because a lot of M.Arch professional degrees are still in the process of qualifying as STEM. I can't seem to find a consolidated list anywhere of which M.Arch degrees are currently STEM or not.

Any clarification about this would be greatly appreciated!

Mar 5, 18 10:56 am

Those qualification procedures tend to be internal to the institution, ask them. And why would that matter? 

Mar 5, 18 11:24 am  · 
 · 
kjdt

It matters for international students, because the government maintains a list of STEM-classified programs, and international students can stay in the US longer if they do one of those programs because they're entitled to the OPT extension. It's not just an internal institutional thing - the programs must be classified this way by the state's office of higher education.

Mar 5, 18 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
mmarktfsi

Hi,

Doesn't answer your question on those three schools but as of April of last year, PennDesign has qualified for STEM status in M. Arch 1 and MS in Design programs.

Here's a link to the article:

https://www.design.upenn.edu/n...

Mar 5, 18 12:59 pm  · 
 · 

Three additional PennDesign master’s programs have earned approval for STEM designation from Penn Provost Vincent Price. The Master of Architecture, the Master of Environmental Building Design, and the Master of Science in Design programs join the Master of Science in Historic Preservation and the Master of Urban Spatial Analytics for the designation. As a result, international students in these programs are now eligible to work in the United States for three years after graduation.

1- Internal process.

2- ohhhhh... It's a "way in." That's interesting. 

Mar 5, 18 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
kjdt

Again: not just an internal process. These classifications have to be accepted by the states' offices of higher education to be added to the list maintained by the Department of Homeland Security.

Mar 5, 18 1:21 pm  · 
 · 

Noted. I had missed your earlier correction.

Mar 5, 18 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines__

it’s almost like you should know what you’re talking about before correcting others who do

Dec 30, 18 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
infiniteloop

I know that UCLA's M.Arch program is STEM eligible beginning 2018-2019. Not sure about UC Berkeley.. but it's possible.

You should really just ask those schools directly. E-mail or call their admissions office. Good luck!

Mar 6, 18 11:42 pm  · 
 · 
architekkk

UC Berkeley is confirmed to be STEM starting this year, 2018! so the graduate students graduating this May 2018 will be eligible for STEM. Does anyone know if Harvard GSD is got STEM?

Mar 20, 18 1:16 am  · 
 · 
joseffischer

hmmm..... science, technology, engineering, math... I don't see architecture anywhere in there.  It's sort of like when some start pushing STEAM (art).  They're totally missing the point, but hey, if the govt. wants to consider it STEM, and that helps your international status, go for it.

Mar 20, 18 8:54 am  · 
 · 
PrincetonSoA

Princeton’s Professional Master of Architecture (M.Arch) degree is STEM designated.

May 15, 18 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
ritumalhotra

Harvard GSD 

The following programs are STEM and currently are eligible for STEM Option Practical Training Work Authorization.

• MArch I
  • MArch I AP
  • MArch II
  • MLA I
  • MLA I AP
  • MLA II
  • MAUD
  • MLAUD
  • MDE
  • MDes, Technology
  • MDes, Energy and Environments

May 23, 18 2:43 am  · 
 · 
dihu

Hi, does anybody know if the master of urban design also the STEM degree in UC Berkeley? Thanks a lot !!

Oct 23, 18 6:00 am  · 
 · 
RCIXM24

This thread is a life saver. Thank you guys, I had been looking for schools with a STEM designation!.

Cheers!

Oct 25, 18 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
Bruns34

Yes, you can take the admission for the M tech degree which will also help you to make your carrier.These colleges are providing the best service and you can also get good placement for the Job with boomessay services.Some of the student want to grab this opportunity to make the carrier.

Oct 31, 18 7:11 am  · 
 · 
international_applicant

UC Berkeley's MArch and MUD programs are both STEM eligible

Nov 3, 18 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
z6jbishop

This may be kind of unrelated, but the Academy of Art told me they were the only online MArch program that is accredited. 

I've got a civil engineering degree from Texas and a PE license - took the architectural engineering exam, but I'm wanting to learn more about architecture specifically and get a degree so I can get AIA too. 

Nov 6, 18 9:50 am  · 
 · 
ritikasarwade

Does Washington State University has architecture as a STEM major? What is the OPT period for bachelor of architecture student? 

May 11, 19 3:36 am  · 
 · 

It’s not a major, ask them.

May 11, 19 6:50 am  · 
 · 
ritikasarwade

I want to pursue B.arch in Washington State University. So I need to know the what is the OPT period I will get?

May 11, 19 7:13 am  · 
 · 
Molly41

UC Berkeley is confirmed to be STEM starting this year, 2018! so the graduate students graduating this May 2018 will be eligible for STEM. Does anyone know if Harvard GSD is got STEM? TTRockStars

May 13, 19 1:52 am  · 
 · 
malu17

Are there any real estate combined with architecture STEM programs or  MBA STEM programs with a concentration in real estate ?

Jul 4, 19 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
2020aditic

Please check Arizona state university

Aug 28, 19 9:28 am  · 
 · 
zoey

Useful thread - thanks a lot!

Mar 23, 20 8:29 am  · 
 · 
erabn

thanks for much for your website it is providing good informative about things.

Mar 31, 20 7:45 am  · 
 · 
soham86

University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, Arizona State University, University at Buffalo and University of Arizona.

Which one these grad schools should i pick up for Master of Architecture program? And which one of these is preferred considering all aspects.. job opportunities, Do we land up in good jobs early, payscale, how good is the course and curriculum, location and overall ranking?

Apr 8, 20 12:40 am  · 
 · 
lin000

I am wondering if anyone knows M.arch program in UT Austin a STEM-eligible program? I've written to them but with no reply...

Apr 9, 20 3:18 am  · 
 · 
joyce11

If you want to try playing word games, find a word is a website that helps you to play these games. When you try it out, I am sure you will feel satisfied with our website. If you need help or have any questions, please contact us to learn more.

Mar 19, 21 4:15 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: