Archinect
anchor

M.Arch.I on the West Coast...

arch1234

Hey everybody, how's it going?

I recently applied to and was accepted at the following schools for the M.Arch.I:

• SCI-Arc
  • UCLA
  • USC
  • CCA

Yes; I know it's a lot of schools. I applied to schools that I found to focus on what I want to focus on in architecture, and -- with thanks to the Archi-Gods -- I was accepted. While it's a good problem to have, it's definitely a problem now that I have to choose one.

With that, I turn to you, Archinect Forum, to ask you: what would you choose, and why (for factors aside from cost)? Again: it's for the M.Arch.I.

Thank you, thank you, and thank you again for any advice.

Mar 3, 18 8:07 pm
arch1234

Also, when I said "I know it's a lot of schools", I meant it as "I know it's a lot of schools because I have not narrowed it down whatsoever and am extremely confused as to where I should be going" -- I know there are so many of you that got into more schools / got into schools ranked above the ones I've listed, so I wasn't trying to boast or anything. I sincerely need the advice!

Mar 3, 18 9:57 pm  · 
 · 
infiniteloop

Congratulations!

CCA is not on the same level of SCI-Arc, USC, and UCLA. The only times I've seen people show interest in a M.Arch at CCA were people from NorCal that wanted to do a M.Arch in NorCal but couldn't/didn't get into Berkeley. I'm guessing it was a safety school for you so unless you have a raging desire to be in NorCal you can remove that from your list. 

After that we will need to know more about your goals and interests to better assist you. What exactly made you apply to SCI-Arc, USC, and UCLA? They have quite different pedagogies so I'm interested in what "focus" you found among all those schools. Is being part of a large campus important to you? Will you be finding housing close to campus? Is tuition really something you don't want us to consider? What kind of career do you see yourself doing after you complete school? What city/region would you most likely look in to pursue this career? These are just some of the things we would need to know in order to give you a honest answer.

Mar 4, 18 2:22 am  · 
 · 
arch1234

Thanks for answering! 

Here, that focus is on designing with the politics of aesthetics in mind; that is, using variables from political theory in aesthetics/form. While that seems to be more in line with what schools like SCI-Arc and UCLA are doing, I've noted that USC is beginning to do it, especially when engaging institutional spaces.

I am comfortable at either a large campus for a large research university or at more of an art school / studio environment, so that's not a factor for me -- I find that the pros and cons balance out, but I'm sure a university with other domains of research probably aid with the more interdisciplinary route I'm going down...

I am going to be finding housing close to campus.

Thankfully, I do not have to consider tuition as a factor for these schools at this time.

For a career, I have some practices I would love to be at, but -- as with many in my generation, for better or for worse -- I would love to eventually be at a practice of my own. Also, and quite importantly: I want to have the skills to do more than architecture alone (e.g.: skills that apply to industrial design, running shoe design, etc...) -- I know it's ambitious.

I don't know where the opportunities are going to be by the time I finish, so the city does not matter to me at this time. That said, I do love California -- both LA and SF for different reasons, of course. 

Thanks again!

Mar 4, 18 11:18 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: