Archinect
anchor

Working in USA,is it possible for HR to call or email to the previous office for re-checking employee's profile work?

Vendetta

Working in USA,is it possible for HR to call or email to the previous office for re-checking employee's profile work? 

Mar 1, 18 6:32 am
kjdt

It's not unusual for employers to check references and work history after you've already been hired. It's not really the best practice to do it that way, but it is perfectly legal.  Firms can be anxious to get someone on board and start training them, and the vetting sometimes lags behind.  If that happens, and you're found to have lied about anything on your resume, or if any of your references provide particularly troubling information, it's possible you'll be terminated or put on some sort of probation.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "profile work" though.  Generally what is verified with former employers (if anything) is your dates of employment, and your former title and role. 

Mar 1, 18 8:58 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

I'm assuming they meant "work profile," by which I assume that means either the position, or portfolio.

Feb 16, 19 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
shji

Yes they can and while some companies don't bother, many call to check. Like kjdt wrote, they will verify employer, dates, title, and role. Sometimes they go into detail and ask about the applicant's capabilities.

Mar 1, 18 10:04 am  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

I have learned the hard way that it is best to check a candidate's references before making an employment offer.

We only ask for verification of employment date, title, and role/duties.  Sometimes the former employer will volunteer additional information and opinions, but we don't ask for them.

Mar 1, 18 10:45 am  · 
 · 
Gloominati

It's definitely preferable to verify employment history before hiring.  Besides the issue of lies or exaggerations about experience, one of my colleagues told me a horror story about hiring someone who spent one day on the job, then came in very early the next morning with his new key, to steal three laptops from the office, was never heard from again, and turned out to have used a fake name and job history. 

Employers are legally required to check forms of ID before they let you do any work (to verify that you're legal to work in the US, and for tax purposes) but unfortunately some don't even get around to that until you've worked there a few days or more.  While most employers will call references that you provide before they make an offer, verifying the rest of the info on your resume sometimes doesn't happen until much later - or in some cases never, unless something causes them to suspect they should check up on it.  In a perfect world the firm would verify everything while still in the interviewing process, but it just doesn't always happen.

I'm curious as to the OP's reasons for asking the
question.  It reads as though he may be hoping to inflate his resume and
get away with it, particularly as some employers may be less likely to
contact past employers in other countries - though email makes that
simple so I wouldn't count on it.

Mar 1, 18 11:13 am  · 
 · 

Even in a large city like Chicago if you lumped all of the architects into one place you would have a small town or village. There is no place to hide if you are lying or have a reputation for being a problem. The rechecking references for new employees is weird but I did hear of it when someone at the management level was being evaluated and eventually let go. Best to always tell the truth on a resume and in an interview.

Mar 1, 18 2:00 pm  · 
 · 

Also if you have a reference ask them to let you know when or if they are contacted. this might give you some feedback as to how your job search might be going beyond radio silence or polite rejection emails.

Mar 1, 18 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
Vendetta

- In some big companies, senior architects or supervisors always resign, how new employer know what happen exactly when I worked that time?

- In case of some architects who have trouble with the former big boss, maybe the big boss can lie to new employers, so how they can find the truth?

- In some small companies in other countries, in case of employees still working in any company while they applying for a new job, if new employer call for checking, maybe everyone will know about it and its not a good idea to make everyone know, so how they check it?

Mar 1, 18 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines

"if you applied to work for my business"

hahahahahahaha

Mar 1, 18 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Low-hanging fruit, Place...

Mar 1, 18 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines

yeah, fair enough

Mar 1, 18 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
JBeaumont

in the US it's not typical that employment verification includes anyhthing beyond what others have mentioned: dates of employment, name of role.  It's not expected that a company will volunteer opinions. There's not much to lie about - it's just factual information. For liability reasons firms don't usually say anything more.

References are a different thing than employment verification. References are people who you as the applicants provide contact info for, as people who can give more detailed qualitative reviews of your abilities.  Presumably you wouldn't have provided names of people who you have any reason to think wouldn't back you up positively. 

Employers won't usually contact an employer where you are still employed, unless you specifically suggest it. But if you want to be certain, just say that you're searching discreetly and would appreciate if they don't contact your current employer.

Mar 1, 18 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
Vendetta

many thanks for all replying, 

very helpful ,really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Mar 2, 18 9:53 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: